Quick time cant move original files to external drive, if copied wont play

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I can't move the original QT files to an external drive from my imac.the files wont play at all if the originals arent on the imac hard drive. I deleted all of the ones after copying them to the external drive thinking they were fine and now they are worthless.(They won't play at all unless the originals are on the imac hard drive.This makes the whole thing of FREEING UP SPACE with an external drive pointlless unless i can move them to the external drive. Now I have to re extract the clips again from my mini dvd, this is a big headache because they were edited.Plus again all of that memory will go back onto my computer.The files play fine if they arent in the folder on the external hard drive. If copied directly to the drive from the cinemetize program they wont play at all. If copied from the imac after being extracted to that first they play, but only if the originals are on the imac first.

HELP!!

Can someone please help me that might know what to do in this situation?

Thanks!!

____

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cheznoel View Post

I can't move the original QT files to an external drive from my imac.the files wont play at all if the originals arent on the imac hard drive. I deleted all of the ones after copying them to the external drive thinking they were fine and now they are worthless.(They won't play at all unless the originals are on the imac hard drive.This makes the whole thing of FREEING UP SPACE with an external drive pointlless unless i can move them to the external drive. Now I have to re extract the clips again from my mini dvd, this is a big headache because they were edited.Plus again all of that memory will go back onto my computer.The files play fine if they arent in the folder on the external hard drive. If copied directly to the drive from the cinemetize program they wont play at all. If copied from the imac after being extracted to that first they play, but only if the originals are on the imac first.

HELP!!

Can someone please help me that might know what to do in this situation?

Thanks!!

____

HOW did you move the files?

It sounds like you made QT reference movies, which in effect are simply shortcuts to the original.

All you should have to do is drag the original (properly working) movie file from the iMac and drop it where you want it on the external. That will make a duplicate of the original in the location you specify and all should be well.