Mail - automatically quote entire message

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Until very recently, Mail automatically quoted the entire text of the message I was replying to. It has stopped doing so, and Preferences doesn't seem to do its job.

I have tried various combinations of preferences.

I've checked Quote the text of the original message and Include selected text, if any, otherwise include all. Even when I select Include all of the original message. the message does not get quoted.

When I select the entire message under the Include selected text, if any, otherwise include all the message gets quoted, but I don't want to have to do that every time.

Has anyone else run into/noticed this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I just realized that the only time the message is NOT quoted in its entirety with the proper options selected is when the original message contained an attachment.

In which case, all I get is something like:
    On Jun 19, 2007, at 10:32 AM, Mouse, Mickey wrote:

<Data Procedure_revised.doc>
    This happens EVEN if there is text in the original message, in addition to the attachment.

Any ideas! Help, Geniuses!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Until very recently, Mail automatically quoted the entire text of the message I was replying to. It has stopped doing so, and Preferences doesn't seem to do its job.

I have tried various combinations of preferences.

I've checked Quote the text of the original message and Include selected text, if any, otherwise include all. Even when I select Include all of the original message. the message does not get quoted.

When I select the entire message under the Include selected text, if any, otherwise include all the message gets quoted, but I don't want to have to do that every time.

Has anyone else run into/noticed this?

Thanks.

Macintouch has a similar reader report, confirmed. This change occurred with the Beta of Safari 3.0. The workaround is to select the text of the original message that you'd like quoted.