beaten Horse: touchscreen with leopard

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know that it may seem like yesterdays news that the leopard may feature touchscreen functions, but i really feel like this is large possibility.

I am the only apple geek i know and have to post this in the forum to get others thoughts on this. When you look at the iphone commercials and they show the touch screen cover flow segment, all i can think of is how coverflow is smeared all throughout leopard. its seems so obvious.

also, (and i know this is a stretch) but if you watched the keynote, steve referred to computers that he "touched" in the last day or last week...

also, using spacebar for quickview seems like a filler key until you can just tap the preview in coverflow directly on a screen.

and, stacks. they are large icons and easy to touch.

has anyone else just thought about this or am i just a complete nerd reading into a lot of nothing?

thanks

(btw, this is my first post, i have been cruising for a while, but finally took the plunge)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronnsprocket View Post

I know that it may seem like yesterdays news that the leopard may feature touchscreen functions, but i really feel like this is large possibility.

I am the only apple geek i know and have to post this in the forum to get others thoughts on this. When you look at the iphone commercials and they show the touch screen cover flow segment, all i can think of is how coverflow is smeared all throughout leopard. its seems so obvious.

also, (and i know this is a stretch) but if you watched the keynote, steve referred to computers that he "touched" in the last day or last week...

also, using spacebar for quickview seems like a filler key until you can just tap the preview in coverflow directly on a screen.

and, stacks. they are large icons and easy to touch.

has anyone else just thought about this or am i just a complete nerd reading into a lot of nothing?

thanks

(btw, this is my first post, i have been cruising for a while, but finally took the plunge)

I'd agree with most of what you say and hope for (although of course there are those that will saturate the thread with negitive comments) the number of times I have just wanted to grab stuff on the desktop or in cover flow, it drives me a little mad sometimes.

Its also typical Steve/Apple behavior BUILT THE FOUNDATIONS FIRST and then build upon it. We have coverflow in place, people will build up the sight/recognition brain pathways and then it will be a small and simple step when he announces it with a BOOM. hopefully on ALL hardware, but I think it will be introduced on new hardware be that a tablet or on all new iMacs, because unless this is going to remain a niche product it will HAVE to be in products that people are using/buying ANYWAY.

But will it be in leopard? i dont think so.

Will it be in Jan 08 with new iMacs (or the introduction of new iMacs/hardware)? possibly

Will it be in the NEXT OS (10.6)? yeah, more likely, as it really is just a matter of time, and getting the necessary component prices down to a consumer level for mass production.

I LOVE the possibilities.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I agree. I think it is the future. Steve could just roll out the finished version of leopard with multitouch. For right now the beta would use the traditional mouse as would all other computers released before multitouch.

This patent comes instantly to mind:

The display integrated with sensing elements....

Turns a screen into a camera....

hmm....

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...DN/20060007222
  • Reply 3 of 4
    in addition to that patent, the new imac could really use the proximity sensor tech that is in the iphone:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/technolo...nsor=proximity

i cant think of any reason why they wouldnt...you know, aside from cost.

overall, i can see how this would all be useful for navigation, but I cant imagine how they would integrate this in pro apps...maybe a dock-like row of tool icons would be useful.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.