Apple TV Update Removes Hacks

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just to let people know the Apple TV update disables as least some (or most) of the hacks that you may have installed. I had ssh enabled and several frappliances installed and now I don't have ssh access and all frappliances are gone from the menu.

I'm not surprised by the ssh and the frappliance may be gone because they installed a whole new 'Finder' which is the main menu.

Don't know that they could have done it any differently given the number of ways the hacks are installed.

Just a warning.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Just to let people know the Apple TV update disables as least some (or most) of the hacks that you may have installed. I had ssh enabled and several frappliances installed and now I don't have ssh access and all frappliances are gone from the menu.

I'm not surprised by the ssh and the frappliance may be gone because they installed a whole new 'Finder' which is the main menu.

Don't know that they could have done it any differently given the number of ways the hacks are installed.

Just a warning.

And then to follow up, but it is completly possible to re-implement your hacks using either the Patchstick method, or opening up the ATV and plugging in the HD to a mac (old school method). So just kind of a hastle currently.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

And then to follow up, but it is completly possible to re-implement your hacks using either the Patchstick method, or opening up the ATV and plugging in the HD to a mac (old school method). So just kind of a hastle currently.

Do you know this? I would hope so, and only if you remembered to copy the boot.efi off during your first hack.

BTW Have you successfully used the patchstick? I just made mine the other day but haven't tried it yet.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Do you know this? I would hope so, and only if you remembered to copy the boot.efi off during your first hack.

BTW Have you successfully used the patchstick? I just made mine the other day but haven't tried it yet.

Check out http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=268

Basicly, no plugins will work currently, but the authors are working on updates. There has also been confirmation that patchstick still works (you can now get the boot.efi file from Apple thanks to this update), and ssh works as well.

Also, check out http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/June_...uTube_Patch%29 as it has some more info of whats new and whats removed by the new Apple Patch.