Apple stores to offer 25 iPhone accessories near launch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Inc.'s retail stores plan to offer iPhone shoppers around two dozen accessories for the multi-function handset at or around the time the device goes on sale later this week, AppleInsider has been told.

The majority of those products will likely consist of third party cases and protective gear, which are amongst the simplest for outside firms to develop given their limited exposure to the Apple handset thus far.

In addition to those third party accessories, Apple will offer at least three of its own:

A stereo headset with mic, which will be included with each iPhone, will also sell separately for $29. Meanwhile, the company's little-mentioned Bluetooth headset will reportedly fetch a whopping $129, making it one of the most expensive on the market. Apple will also sell a white iPhone dock.

Over the past couple of weeks, AT&T retail stores have also turned up periodic shipments of third party iPhone accessories. Again, these products consist primarily of cases and protective gear.

In particular, two DLO cases -- one called Jam Jacket and another called HipCase -- where spotted and photographed over the weekend.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Yeah if that thing costs $130 I'm going to be pi-issed.

I was sort of under the impression that buying the 8GB model would net you a BT headset (ala 80GB iPods used to net you a dock while smaller-capacity ones did not). I guess not.

I can easily see someone spending $1,000 for an 8GB phone, activation fees from AT&T, tax and a Bluetooth headset, a carrying case (if you're squeamish), etc. Which sucks. That's a MacBook right there
  • Reply 2 of 46
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    By the time I buy (next spring?) that BT headset will be under $100

The MOST expensive bluetooth headset on Amazon has an MSRP of $330! Ouch! that's $169 less than a whole iPhone! But there are planet of cheaper ones around $30-$50, and iPhone users can use those too. (However, having tried one and last year and being forced to return it for unacceptable performance, it may be that you get what you pay for. Not all have the same features.)
  • Reply 3 of 46
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

I was sort of under the impression that buying the 8GB model would net you a BT headset (ala 80GB iPods used to net you a dock while smaller-capacity ones did not). I guess not.

I can easily see someone spending $1,000 for an 8GB phone, activation fees from AT&T, tax and a Bluetooth headset, a carrying case (if you're squeamish), etc. Which sucks. That's a MacBook right there

But it's not a MacBook with a headset, case, tax, etc.

It's a shame that some people will buy an extravagant number of accessories, but it won't really hurt those of us that choose not to.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    AppleInsider is high as a kite, calling a $129 BT headset "one of the most expensive on the market". What market, cheapo Korean headsets?

It's expensive, sure, but I really don't know what to say to a consumer who expects Apple to introduce any product in any category and shoot for the low-to-mid price range in that category.

You'll be able to use any other BT headset with iPhone. I don't see a gun to your head making you buy Apple's.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    25 accessories, including 12 cases, 4 plastic screen protectors, every bluetooth headseat they already have, and an AT&T branded wiping cloth.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

AppleInsider is high as a kite, calling a $129 BT headset "one of the most expensive on the market". What market, cheapo Korean headsets?

It's expensive, sure, but I really don't know what to say to a consumer who expects Apple to introduce any product in any category and shoot for the low-to-mid price range in that category.

You'll be able to use any other BT headset with iPhone. I don't see a gun to your head making you buy Apple's.

Agree. If this headset lives up to its claims, I am first in line. Have tested a number and most proven inadequate.

Why it is necessary to crap or desparingly comment on something you have never heard or seen before is beyond me. Least of all, the author of this article.

Actually, I relish high end and expensive accessories. Makes Apples' prices look even better.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    $89 would sound about right. $129 is beyond a joke.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    iLounge is listing 45 accessories for the iPhone.

This headphone looks great

http://www.jawbone.com/meet.html

and is only $80 from a dealmac sale.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    after watching the 20 minute movie, i think that the included wired headphones are perfect. pause, skip songs, answer and hang up. perfect. the only thing i'll be looking to buy w/ the phone is a car charger. another $29 i'm sure, just like every single phone i've bought.

wasn't there some demand for standard charging/synching ports? my slvr uses mini usb - why doesn't everything...?
  • Reply 10 of 46
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    that the virtual keybord is almost impossible to use, lol yeah right i have seen a beta version, ad trust me if you dont press the keys dead center it wont type it, also edge to be to slow, another laugh, because although iphone does not have the new 3G, it does not really need it yet, because the operating system does much of the work, remember its not goin to be running windows mobile, i can't wait to launch day to see it these bulshit companies are still goin to keep blaiming networks for their poor work
  • Reply 11 of 46
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

25 accessories, including 12 cases, 4 plastic screen protectors, every bluetooth headseat they already have, and an AT&T branded wiping cloth.

Yeah but you'll get 4 million configurations of those 25 accessories.

It's a pity one of the accessories wasn't a decent developer kit.

I wonder if anyone will make a keyboard for it.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    The iPhone will include a headset with the ability to answer calls, a cool one too. But will not offer screen-protection because they claim that the new glass-screen on the iPhone is scratch-resistant. However, I would feel much better with a shield because the glass screen is non-replacable and there is no way to fix a scratch on glass. I really like the screen protector from iQase.com it rocks it's silicon based Their skins are also cool.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

You're about the only one with that impression. What would make you think that Apple, or anyone, would bundle such an expensive accessory with a phone, without charging even more?

If Apple was going to do that, they would have mentioned it back in January, when the phone was introduced, and the prices stated.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Anybody who is planning to sign up with AT&T for the first time must know this. The apple iphone is not discounted for new subscribers, so you can take advantage of a discounted or free phone with your new 2-year contract. (do it before you get your iphone) Then purchase the iPhone at the $499 or $599 price just like everybody else. If you sell it on ebay you can probably recover about 1/2 the cost of the iPhone.

I bought http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-...2794471&sr=8-1

It was $.01 with a $100 rebate. I just got it in the mail, and I'm going to get the iPhone on Friday. (I'm switching from Verizon)
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

$89 would sound about right. $129 is beyond a joke.

That's just your random made-up pricing, without any knowledge of what it is actually worth.

Why don't you look up BT models and compare prices?

After you do that, look up some reviews. Few cheap ($89) models seem to be much good.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Gizmodo "has a tip from a "high up source" that the iPhone data plan is going to be around $34.99 to $44.99."
  • Reply 17 of 46
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Gizmodo "has a tip from a "high up source" that the iPhone data plan is going to be around $34.99 to $44.99."

It's not Giz, it's Boy Genius, which has been know to have an AT&T retail managerial source.

Best,

K
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

They should tell that person to get an apartment on a lower floor.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    How do you know what it's actually worth? Have you used it yet. I bought a motorola BT headset for a friend, for 79 bucks and it works great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's just your random made-up pricing, without any knowledge of what it is actually worth.

Why don't you look up BT models and compare prices?

After you do that, look up some reviews. Few cheap ($89) models seem to be much good.

• Reply 20 of 46
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsharrington View Post

Anybody who is planning to sign up with AT&T for the first time must know this. The apple iphone is not discounted for new subscribers, so you can take advantage of a discounted or free phone with your new 2-year contract. (do it before you get your iphone) Then purchase the iPhone at the $499 or $599 price just like everybody else. If you sell it on ebay you can probably recover about 1/2 the cost of the iPhone.

I bought http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-...2794471&sr=8-1

It was $.01 with a $100 rebate. I just got it in the mail, and I'm going to get the iPhone on Friday. (I'm switching from Verizon)

I hope that works for you. I'd be reluctant until we heard for sure that kind of thing was possible with the iPhone. It's probably will, but you never know.