Broken Macbook, of any use?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

My girlfriend just gave me her broken macbook, it's less than a year old. it has 512 mb of ram, a superdrive, a 60 gb hard drive, and a 2.0 ghz processor(not sure if it's core 1 or 2). she spilled a glass of whiskey on the keyboard and it stopped working a few months ago, so she bought a new one.

i told her i was about to buy a macbook, so she gave me the old one incase i could do anything with the parts.

Is there anything i can do with this thing? i thought about moving the superdrive over to my future macbook, but it doesn't seem worth the risk of voiding the warranty or the bother of the potential cosmetic damage while i'm ripping apart a brand new machine.

i know that i can get 3-400 dollars off a macbook with a borked logic board off ebay, but if i do that, i'll just hand her the cash.

anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougmwpsu View Post

Hi all,

My girlfriend just gave me her broken macbook, it's less than a year old. it has 512 mb of ram, a superdrive, a 60 gb hard drive, and a 2.0 ghz processor(not sure if it's core 1 or 2). she spilled a glass of whiskey on the keyboard and it stopped working a few months ago, so she bought a new one.

i told her i was about to buy a macbook, so she gave me the old one incase i could do anything with the parts.

Is there anything i can do with this thing? i thought about moving the superdrive over to my future macbook, but it doesn't seem worth the risk of voiding the warranty or the bother of the potential cosmetic damage while i'm ripping apart a brand new machine.

i know that i can get 3-400 dollars off a macbook with a borked logic board off ebay, but if i do that, i'll just hand her the cash.

anyone have any suggestions?

I'd at least make sure all of the whiskey was out of the machine.

A small straw (or your tongue) will suffice.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    i'm a big fan of having spare parts around, just in case. the ram won't do you any good (as it's base amount), but if the hdd still works you can make an external hdd for $15 or so just buying a 2.5" enclosure. same with the superdrive (putting it in an enclosure) although i don't know about that for a fact, i just assume there are enclosures for the superdrives.

i'd keep it around if i were you. (well really, if i were you, i'd give it to me...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    You probably guess the CPU, RAM, HDD, LCD and casing is ok. What gone is the keyboard and maybe the motherboard or a logic board. You can fix this easily, if you open it carefully. Don't throw it out just yet, i'm sure someone can have a look at it :-)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I'd eBay it and buy an iPhone. But giving her the cash would be the responsible thing to do.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Take it into an Apple store and pretend that you have no clue why it broke (clean it up a little first) and since it is still in the warranty time see if they'll replace it for free, and if not then take dmber's or i386's advice.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

I'd at least make sure all of the whiskey was out of the machine.

A small straw (or your tongue) will suffice.

Heh.

Actually, I have a friend of a friend who had a similar problem. Except that it apears that it is only the keyboard that is cooked on her MB. With a usb KB it works. Somehow the people at the Apple Store convinced her that repairing it would be too difficult so she bought a new LCD MBP! My question is how do I convince her that I would be willing to relieve her of the burden of that broken MB without feeling like a schmuck. Any suggestions?