Virtual PC - Parells, Windows XP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi folks. Is there any way to get the Windows XP Pro, from the MS CD's (on my Virtual PC package) to my Mac Intel, so that I can use it, and not have to purchase another copy of windows XP Pro?

Karl

[email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Hi folks. Is there any way to get the Windows XP Pro, from the MS CD's (on my Virtual PC package) to my Mac Intel, so that I can use it, and not have to purchase another copy of windows XP Pro?

Karl

[email protected]

I doubt it... There is a program called Pacifist (see versiontracker.com) that allows Mac users to see inside installers to install just the applications they want. You might try it, but I doubt it will work.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    you could try to use another cd copy of windows xp and use your product ID code of your virtual PCs XP. but i am not sure if it works.

Martin
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pena2050pena2050 Posts: 12member
    Found some info on macwindows.com.

call microsoft 800-260-7561.

Give them your XP serial number and tell them you need a replacement install disk of ONLY XP.

It cost this person 23 plus 5 shipping.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Let me know if you find the answer. I have Virtual PC with a copy of Win2K on it that I would like to extract and run natively. I paid for it, so I should be able to do it.

VPC used to come with a genuine Windows CD - it doesn't any more.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    wawaxwawax Posts: 10member
    hello, ihave question about VMWare and parallels too. i used VMWare fusion 4.1 on my mac now. when i try to run Geometry wars, it says can't load Direct3D.

So i try parallels Beta version to run it. When i run it, at short time, my mac show picture with power icon and says You must restart your computer, press and hold power button, or press reset button

and all the process of is stop, even my mouse can't move

can you help me out? thanks

i'm sorry for my bad english,
  • Reply 6 of 7
    You got a kernel panic. Many kernel panics are caused by hardware, either that it's broken or that is doesn't work the way the system or program expects. In your case I'm guessing it's the graphics card...

You could contact the developer of the program and see if it's a known bug.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Let me know if you find the answer. I have Virtual PC with a copy of Win2K on it that I would like to extract and run natively. I paid for it, so I should be able to do it.

VPC used to come with a genuine Windows CD - it doesn't any more.

Only if you install it first it seems onto a disc image:

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/transporter/

I don't know if you'd be able to do this in an emulator like Sheepshaver, not all emulators work within emulators.

If you had a PPC machine or a backup of your win2k image, it should be easy enough to do.