Transferring home videos

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The demos do not show transferring home videos from computer to iPhone. Do you think this will be able to be done?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DisneyEcho View Post

The demos do not show transferring home videos from computer to iPhone. Do you think this will be able to be done?

If you put the video into itunes then yes
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

If you put the video into itunes then yes

Thanks, Dave. I see that it works for .mov files. Do I need to convert other movie formats to that or what other kinds of files does it support? Sorry for the newbie iPhone/video iPod question.

• Reply 3 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DisneyEcho View Post

Thanks, Dave. I see that it works for .mov files. Do I need to convert other movie formats to that or what other kinds of files does it support? Sorry for the newbie iPhone/video iPod question.

Until the phone is released it's hard to say with any degree of certainty but if it plays in iTunes it should play on the iPhone.... When I say iTunes I really mean 'unaided Quicktime' as in native quicktime without utilizing 3rd party plugins that enable 'normally unsupported video codecs'.

For example: AVI isn't playable in QT - neither is DiVX or 3iVX or Real or WMV.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks, David. That helps a lot. I'll be putting my video conversion software to good use.

• Reply 5 of 5
    From the updated specs page on the iPhone website:

Video

Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

- - -

So, it sounds like movies can be made in H.264 format, .mov format, and MPEG-4 video. They way all the above is presented together, video and audio, I think that is it for video -- or am I wrong?