Verizon to prospective iPhone buyers: 'Stay near a plug'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Like other AT&T rivals, Verizon Wireless has issued a list of talking points to help its employees encourage customers not to drop their service plans and switch to iPhone. "Stay near a plug," reads one of the points to be conveyed to potential switchers. "The iPhone battery can't be removed or swapped for a spare."

The multi-page document, labeled "Proprietary & Confidential. For Internal Use Only," offers Verizon's take on why it "more than holds its own" against Apple, AT&T and the iPhone.

"Sorry, iPhone can't send picture or video message -- only e-mail," the carrier wrote. "No over-the-air downloads. You have to connect to a PC to load music." For its part, Verizon offers both features through certain of its service plans.

In the documents, the AT&T rival also suggests that employees tell prospective iPhone buyers to "watch their wallets," as the "cheapest iPhone is $499."

OK, but what about customers who talk about iPhone's "cool features" like Wi-Fi access and the touch screen?

"Wi-Fi is not a mobile technology," Verizon explains. "You have to be in a fixed location to use it -- and that's if you know where to find it. And some Wi-Fi hotspots make you pay to use them. There're also those pesky concerns about security of Wi-Fi."

As for the Apple handset's touch screen, "it sounds cool," claims Verizon, "but if you're a heavy text or email user, it could be challenging not being able to feel the keys as you press them."

"And how are you going to type without looking with a keyboard you can't even feel," the carrier adds.

For those interested, both Verizon documents can been seen after the jump. Slightly more entertaining talking points issued by Sprint were covered on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    How does Verizon have a clue about the multitouch/touchscreen? Have they used an actual iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 110
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    I personally think that the battery not being swappable sounds like a big deal, until I realize that I have never needed to swap the batteries in either my phone or iPod.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Wi-Fi is not a mobile technology," Verizon explains. "You have to be in a fixed location to use it -- and that's if you know where to find it. And some Wi-Fi hotspots make you pay to use them. There're also those pesky concerns about security of Wi-Fi."

So I guess all of those "Business People" using Wi-Fi with their laptops this whole time have been doing so with little or no security. Interesting . . . . .

Love seeing the last-minute scrambles by Verizon and Sprint.
  • Reply 4 of 110
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    More Verizon FUD!
  • Reply 5 of 110
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"And how are you going to type without looking with a keyboard you can't even feel," the carrier adds.

It sounds like Verizon are encouraging people to send text messages

while driving. This seems like a risky thing to do, liability wise.
  • Reply 6 of 110
    docpregodocprego Posts: 54member
    WOW, Verizon and Sprint are obviously shaking in their boots......
  • Reply 7 of 110
    Maybe they should explain how you don't have to worry about security with Verizon because they put crappy proprietary software on their phones. They limit bluetooth functionality, and their "over the air MP3" downloads are $3 a pop.

I just got my new AT&T W810i and my Apple Macbook recognized it, and isync loaded up my contacts, calendar, and retrieved photos without a hitch. I can't believe I've been with Verizon all these years. I even loaded 2 GB worth of music onto my free W810i and I didn't have to buy a PC-Kit like I would have from Verizon. (they don't allow file exchange over bluetooth with their similar phones)

Now I have a free pocket sized phone from AT&T to use on the weekends when I don't feel like luggin' around my iPhone.

I am so excited to be done with Verizon forever. Many of my friends and coworkers are doing the same.
  • Reply 8 of 110
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Haha! I love these. As though there isn't going to be a charging accessory out by sometime in July. These things make them sound desperate. I almost wish I was a customer so I could toy with the reps calling in to cancel. I guess that makes me a jerk.
  • Reply 9 of 110
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

I personally think that the battery not being swappable sounds like a big deal, until I realize that I have never needed to swap the batteries in either my phone or iPod.

Yes, but we both likely know how to take care of a lithium ion battery. LOTS of people out there still think that they're supposed to use their cell phones or iPods until the battery dies to avoid the battery getting a "memory." Some have even told me that the cell phone store told them to do that!

There's a lot of bad information out there and I imagine we're going to have the iPod battery effect all over again in about a year because the Josephine Schmoes of the world abused their batteries.
  • Reply 10 of 110
    But a gazillion accessories designed for iPod that use AA, AAA, or Li-ion batteries to extend battery life. They're clearly scrambling to find nits to pick, especially now that the announced plans are extremely competitive.
  • Reply 11 of 110
    All the Wifi statements are true. Seems like they are trying to use scare tactics to keep customers from switching, but the wifi statements are true.

The sad thing is, this might just keep some people from switching. Some people are so non-technical, something like this could scare them away from the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

So I guess all of those "Business People" using Wi-Fi with their laptops this whole time have been doing so with little or no security. Interesting . . . . .

Love seeing the last-minute scrambles by Verizon and Sprint.

• Reply 12 of 110
    are for the desperate and the authoritarians.
  • Reply 13 of 110
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    you can't send picture text messages? that's lame.
  • Reply 14 of 110
    Yeah, no MMS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

I still want to know can the camera be used to record video.
  • Reply 15 of 110
    A little gum being push in the crack of the Dam. That should hold off the flood for a few seconds.
  • Reply 16 of 110
    Page 3 of the Verizon document says that the iPhone doesn't have ring-tones!

Damn, it must be a bitch having a phone that you have to stare at for the visual cue that someone is calling. A lot of missed calls, I'd assume.

What a bunch of pansies.

-Clive
  • Reply 17 of 110
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:

You can just email pictures instead, which is much more useful.

I'm hoping that the iPhone will basically remove all the annoying TXT variants we have now ("TXT, PIX, FLIX etc..") with standard email that works on all phones. Sure the birthing pains may be hard, and we can't give up SMS just yet, but eventually we'll be free from those annoying 50cents a go multi-media messages.
  • Reply 18 of 110
    joeyyyjoeyyy Posts: 35member
    This is a weak argument as I think that most folks would not need a replacement battery.

But, if you still need a replacement battery you can always get a universal USB charger such as this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-lenmar-...sb-powerport-b...

This is even better than a standard battery as you don't need to bring the device down (when you are taking the current battery out). It may even cost you less than buying a replacement battery at premium price on the carrier store.
  • Reply 19 of 110
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Just curious, but what is the advantage of MMS over sending the same picture via regular email?
  • Reply 20 of 110
    Quote:

I thought so too until I realized that I rarely send them.

and can't you send an email to [email protected]? Does that work with pictures?