Apple sets two iPhone limit; says stores will operate till midnight

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple said Thursday that iPhone will be available at Apple retail stores nationwide beginning at 6:00 p.m. local time tomorrow with a strict limit of two per customer.

Each of the Apple's U.S.-based retail stores will stay open until midnight, and customers can purchase up to two iPhones on a first come, first served basis, the Cupertino-based company said in a statement.

Beginning Saturday morning, iPhone customers can learn how to get the most out of the iPhone with free, in-depth workshops offered throughout the day at all Apple retail stores. Every Apple retail store will offer support for iPhone at the Genius Bar and personal training through Apple’s new One to One program.

"Apple retail stores were created for this moment—to let customers touch and experience a revolutionary new product," said Ron Johnson, Apple’s senior vice president of Retail. "With our legendary Genius Bar support, free workshops and our One to One personal training, we’re here to help customers get the most from their new iPhone."

iPhone introduces an entirely new user interface based on a revolutionary multi-touch display and pioneering new software that allows users to control iPhone with just a tap, flick or pinch of their fingers. The device combines three products into one small and lightweight handheld device—a revolutionary mobile phone, a widescreen iPod, and the Internet in your pocket with best-ever applications on a mobile phone for email, web browsing and maps.

"iPhone ushers in an era of software power and sophistication never before seen in a mobile device, which completely redefines what users can do on their mobile phones," Apple said.

Pricing and Availability

iPhone goes on sale in the US on June 29, 2007 at 6:00 p.m. local time through Apple’s retail stores and AT&T’s select retail stores. Apple’s online store will not start taking orders for iPhone until 6:00 p.m. PDT (9:00 p.m. Eastern), confirming an earlier AppleInsider report.

iPhone will be available in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (US), and will work with either a PC or Mac. Beginning June 30 and continuing through the summer, Apple Stores in the US will open early at 9:00 a.m. for iPhone sales. Customers can check iPhone availability at their local Apple retail store starting at 9:00 p.m. the night before at www.apple.com/retail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Ooh.. 2 per person now eh?! I guess they realised that more than a few would be waiting in line to get one for themselves and a loved one.

Too bad I live in the UK!

• Reply 2 of 24
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple?s online store will not start taking orders for iPhone until 6:00 p.m. PDT (9:00 p.m. Easter), confirming an earlier AppleInsider report.

WOW. 9pm on Easter - isn't that 10 months away?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Um, why reprint that marketing stuff over and over again? We all know that "iPhone ushers in an era of software power and sophistication never before seen in a mobile device, which completely redefines what users can do on their mobile phones"...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Now that's more like it.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Ooh.. 2 per person now eh?! I guess they realised that more than a few would be waiting in line to get one for themselves and a loved one.

Too bad I live in the UK!

The limit is...

Two per person at Apple Stores.

One per person at AT&T Stores.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    I just spoke with an AT&T rep, still only one per customer there...sucks because theres a store right across the street but I need 2 phones. Limit of only one is a bit goofy; 2 seems fair.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

I just spoke with an AT&T rep, still only one per customer there...sucks because theres a store right across the street but I need 2 phones. Limit of only one is a bit goofy; 2 seems fair.

Especially when Jobs said you'd be more likely to find an iPhone at ATT stores.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

It's simply to avoid riots and murders in the parking lot.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    2 per person... open till midnight (6 hours of iPhone sales)... could that mean there won't be a shortage after all? Apple employees are saying, "just come at 6pm when we reopen the store," all nonchalant like there will be plenty.

The checkout process will be beautiful for a cell phone - no contract signing bs.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

WOW. 9pm on Easter - isn't that 10 months away?

No, its 2 months AGO! Holy crap! If only we were paying attention, we could have ordered them two months ago and have them arrive on time. Oh well, live and learn.

And why must the store go down, and not come up until 6pm? Is there something sacred about on-line sales that they couldn't just let you order the stupid thing, say, a month ago? Hell, when apple pre-announces their latest MacPro, its 'available in 2-4 months, but you can order today!" Or are they just trying to build up more PR, let their site crash (certainly not on purpose) and claim that the internet completely collapsed due to the rush to buy an iPhone online exactly at 9pm (where, if you order one at 10pm, you're such a loser!).
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

Yeah, but the Apple stores probably have more in stock (as there are less of them around then AT&T stores) so they can let people have more.

And two sounds fair up until the guy in front of you gets the last two in the store, and you're all pissed because he said he was just going to sell the second one on ebay.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

2 per person... open till midnight (6 hours of iPhone sales)... could that mean there won't be a shortage after all? Apple employees are saying, "just come at 6pm when we reopen the store," all nonchalant like there will be plenty.

The checkout process will be beautiful for a cell phone - no contract signing bs.

What if you don't have a computer to do the online signing up? Can you use one in the store?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Exactly. That's why you'd be more likely to find one at AT&T. With Apple Stores selling them two at a time, they'll run out much faster.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    ill just go to my local mall, theres a apple store there and a ATT store right across the hallway from it, and about 3 more att stores within 3 miles range
  • Reply 15 of 24
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

What if you don't have a computer to do the online signing up? Can you use one in the store?

I'm sure you could activate it on one of the computers in the store, if Apple doesn't have a policy restricting that. But that computer won't have your contact info, iTunes, calendar data, etc. So it won't be very useful to have it activated, beyond simple web browsing.

I'm bringing my laptop, so I can sync it up completely right away.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I'm sure you could activate it on one of the computers in the store, if Apple doesn't have a policy restricting that. But that computer won't have your contact info, iTunes, calendar data, etc. So it won't be very useful to have it activated, beyond simple web browsing.

I'm bringing my laptop, so I can sync it up completely right away.

I'm sorry, so you're saying the iPhone is pretty useless unless you sync it to a computer you may or may not have? What if someone wants one of these because, well, its cheaper then buying an actual computer?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

I'm sorry, so you're saying the iPhone is pretty useless unless you sync it to a computer you may or may not have? What if someone wants one of these because, well, its cheaper then buying an actual computer?

Well you certainly couldn't put any songs on it without a computer + iTunes. All the contact / appointment management can be done on the iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Every Apple retail store will offer support for iPhone at the Genius Bar .....

Via projector and bullhorn?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

No, its 2 months AGO! Holy crap! If only we were paying attention, we could have ordered them two months ago and have them arrive on time. Oh well, live and learn.

And why must the store go down, and not come up until 6pm? Is there something sacred about on-line sales that they couldn't just let you order the stupid thing, say, a month ago? Hell, when apple pre-announces their latest MacPro, its 'available in 2-4 months, but you can order today!" Or are they just trying to build up more PR, let their site crash (certainly not on purpose) and claim that the internet completely collapsed due to the rush to buy an iPhone online exactly at 9pm (where, if you order one at 10pm, you're such a loser!).

Moan moan moan
  • Reply 20 of 24
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    So I guess if you wanna buy 3 you'll have to bring a disguise.