No iPhone flash/Java?

dcqdcq
Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Wait a second, I thought Safari was supposed top be a "full" non-crippled browser on the iPhone. Remove Java and Flash from any browser today, and I'd call that crippled.

Why no Java? Why no flash? Anyone heard any good reasons for this? Or any rumors on future support?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Not sure about Java -Although Jobs did mention that Java was not worth building in and no one is using it anymore (not to be confused with Javascript, which the iPhone does support)- but with Flash, apparently the current flash plugin from Adobe will not work in the Safari version for iPhone. Something to do with not knowing cursor positions.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post

Wait a second, I thought Safari was supposed top be a "full" non-crippled browser on the iPhone. Remove Java and Flash from any browser today, and I'd call that crippled.

I'm inclined to agree with that, especially Flash.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by outsider

Not sure about Java -Although Jobs did mention that Java was not worth building in and no one is using it anymore (not to be confused with Javascript, which the iPhone does support)- but with Flash, apparently the current flash plugin from Adobe will not work in the Safari version for iPhone. Something to do with not knowing cursor positions.

I figured it wouldn't work on iphone because it's possibly a different CPU. If it's not X86 then it'll need recompiled. Java doesn't really get used that much these days as you just see it in Applets. I imagine they're trying to save as much space as possible and the Java VM can be a bit big.

However, that is only in the context of Safari. Including Java for other purposes would have been great and would have allowed the iphone access to lots of software already available for other Palmtops.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Not really... stop and consider that those Java apps on other palmtops assume a) a stylus, b) a keyboard at all times, c) etc, etc... just because it's written in Java does *not* mean that it will run on any specialized hardware, only that there's a chance that the JVM can run the bytecodes up to the point that they try and access an external library or API that isn't there.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple never puts Flash on the iPhone. They have this way of jettisoning standards they don't like - remember the furor over the iMac not having floppies and only having USB ports? I think they're doing the same here. They're pushing AJAX (what they, oddly enough, call web 2.0) over flash.

I also doubt they would have gotten google to move all of youtube's videos away from flash and into h.264 if they were just going to port flash later anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Spambegone