Apple announces iPhone accessories with pricing details

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With less than seven hours to go before Apple's hotly anticipated iPhone launches in the United States, the company has released pricing for nearly a dozen Apple-branded accessories due to go on sale alongside the handset.

"Look for the 'Works with iPhone' logo to find electronic accessories designed to connect specifically to iPhone and certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards," the company said in regards to third-party accessories that will also turn up at Apple and AT&T retail stores on Friday.

Apple added that many iPod accessories that use the 30-pin connector -- such as chargers and speakers -- may also be compatible with iPhone, even though they haven?t been certified as ?Works with iPhone.?

A list of Apple iPhone accessories follows:

iPhone Bluetooth Headset ($129)

Make and answer iPhone calls wirelessly with this compact and lightweight Bluetooth headset. The iPhone Bluetooth Headset features a single button that lets you make and receive phone calls simply and intuitively. And it delivers up to 5.5 hours of talk time and up to 72 hours of standby time thanks to its built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery. An iPhone Dual Dock and iPhone Bluetooth Travel Cable are also included.

iPhone Dock ($49)

The iPhone Dock offers easy access to a USB port for syncing or charging, and audio line out for connecting to powered speakers. Also includes an Apple USB Power Adapter and an Apple Dock Connector to USB Cable.

iPhone Dual Dock ($49)

Give both your iPhone and your iPhone Bluetooth Headset a place to call home. The iPhone Dual Dock also includes an Apple USB Power Adapter for convenient charging.

iPhone Stereo Headset ($29)

The iPhone Stereo Headset is designed like the Apple iPod headphones and features a high-performance microphone fitted with a windscreen. You can quickly answer and end iPhone calls and control basic music playback simply by pressing a button on the mic.

Apple USB Power Adapter ($29)

Use this compact, convenient USB-based adapter to charge your iPhone or iPod at home, on the road, or whenever it?s not connected to a computer. An Apple Dock Connector to USB Cable is included.

Apple Dock Connector to USB Cable ($19)

This USB 2.0 cable connects your iPhone or iPod ? directly or through a Dock ? to your computer?s USB port for efficient syncing and charging, or to the Apple USB Power Adapter for convenient charging from a wall outlet.

iPhone Universal Dock Adapter 3-Pack ($9)

These Dock Adapters enable your iPhone to connect to the iPod Universal Dock and other products that use the Universal Dock system. You can even conduct speakerphone calls with your iPhone in the Dock.

iPhone Bluetooth Travel Cable ($29)

Use this cable to charge your iPhone Bluetooth Headset while you sync or charge your iPhone.

iPhone TTY Adapter ($9)

This adapter lets you use your iPhone with standard TTY devices. Just plug the cable from your TTY device into one end of the iPhone TTY Adapter, then plug the other end of the adapter into your iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    iWonder why the dual dock costs as much as the single doc? Could be aesthetics

Well, it will be an exciting day for apple fans.

Here's one.

http://ThunkDifferent.wordpress.com/...or-the-iphone/
  • Reply 2 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    wheres the car charger?

$129 for a headset is soooooooo overpriced that it isnt even funny!
  • Reply 3 of 35
    So why would anyone buy the single dock when they can get the dual dock at the same price....strange.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThunkDifferent.com View Post

Here's one.

• Reply 4 of 35
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

wheres the car charger?

Not too surprising, considering they've always let the 3rd parties take care of that for the iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idle View Post

Not too surprising, considering they've always let the 3rd parties take care of that for the iPod.

And that there are a bazillion car chargers out there for the ipod that will work with the iphone...
  • Reply 6 of 35
    I think Apple should have thrown in for free the TTY adapter -- to charge an extra $9 for that is downright cheap, money-grubby, and ridiculous.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThunkDifferent.com View Post

Here's one.

The single dock says that it has a line out (audio) for connecting to powered speakers. The dual dock doesn't mention having a line out.

That's what I get from the descriptions...

Off to go get in line....
  • Reply 8 of 35
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

As usual, apple has done a beautiful job of design for its accessories. However, I about shorted a frequency at the price of the Bluetooth headset, and even more so over not including an iPhone Dual Dock that has the headset charging port built-in with the iPhone. Time will lower the pricing, and hopefully determine what should and should not be included with the iPhone as standard pieces. Apple's iPhone accessory web page is very well done.

I bet the dual dock comes with the bluetooth headset. The regular dock comes with the iPhone, but they also sell that separately.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    As usual, apple has done a beautiful job of design for its accessories. However, I about shorted a frequency at the price of the Bluetooth headset, and even more so over not including an iPhone Dual Dock that has the headset charging port built-in with the iPhone. Time will lower the pricing, and hopefully determine what should and should not be included with the iPhone as standard pieces. Apple's iPhone accessory web page is very well done.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think Apple should have thrown in for free the TTY adapter -- to charge an extra $9 for that is downright cheap, money-grubby, and ridiculous.

I don't know that they should have thrown it in as it would add to overall cost of the iPhone, but I do think that they could legitimately give it to those who qualify for the price of the shipping cost to the recipient. However, the item is listed on the main page, and for that I give Apple a lot of credit for doing and addressing.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

$129 for a headset is soooooooo overpriced that it isnt even funny!

Not really. Did you see what it includes? The headset includes the Dual Dock and the Bluetooth Travel Cable. Considering that those two accessories separately would cost $78, the Bluetooth Headset isn't that horribly priced. It's still an expensive headset, as a quick search on Newegg reveals quite a few different types of Bluetooth headsets for less than $50 (the price difference between the headset and the added cost of the Dual Dock and Bluetooth Travel Cable).
  • Reply 12 of 35
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just how big of the market do you think is dominated by people that need a tele-typewriter? Save the $9 for the rest of us....
  • Reply 13 of 35
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

However, I about shorted a frequency at the price of the Bluetooth headset...

Here's a Plantronics 665 that's similiar in style and functionality to the iPhone BT Headset.

Price? $149.95.

If you've never used a Jawbone BT headset, you must. After you try it, you'll return that Apple BT headset quicker than you can say "Shazam!"

The noise canceling on the thing is amazing. Me and my friend tested it (watch the demo on their website and you'll be skeptical at first) and it works. He sat in his car, I was outside. He cranked up the radio so loud that I could hear it from 20 feet away outside the car (doors and windows closed, of course).

He then turned on the noise canceling feature and it became quiet. But I could still hear the music coming from the car. When he spoke, I heard him clearly even though the music was still blasting. Amazing!
  • Reply 14 of 35
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'm afraid that little bluetooth headset would fall out of your ear easily...
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

Considering that those two accessories separately would cost $78..

The Dual Dock should have been included. What better incentive to purchase the Apple headset?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Price? $149.95.

Still expensive given today's market.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajhill View Post

Off to go get in line....

Why not get on the special list that Matt Lauer mentioned that he is on this morning on the Today Show? Perks anyone?
  • Reply 17 of 35
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    $129 for a bluetooth earpiece that probably won't stay in your ear. Is it just me or does anyone else hate earbuds? Maybe I just have odd-sized ears...
  • Reply 18 of 35
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:

The Dual Dock should have been included. What better incentive to purchase the Apple headset?

it is included.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

$129 for a bluetooth earpiece that probably won't stay in your ear. Is it just me or does anyone else hate earbuds? Maybe I just have odd-sized ears...

I hate earbuds as well. They're always falling out of my ears and make them sore, no matter which adapter size I try.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by S10 View Post

it is included.

I think the poster meant included with the iPhone, not included with the BT earpiece.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S10 View Post

it is included.

Not with the iPhone package?only with the headset. That's my point, had Apple simply included the Dual Dock as a standard piece with the iPhone I feel there is more incentive to purchase Apple's headset. Of course, Apple did not so all is moot at this point. Maybe in the future they will...who knows?