Ignorant iPhone News Reports

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I saw this on the NBC10 (Philadelphia) Web site and had to share it with the rest of you. Gives you an idea of how few grains of salt you should take news reports anymore. I've bolded the best parts:

Quote:

David Allan, a St. Joe's marketing professor, said to expect to be without your all-in-one phone if it needs any service because the battery and memory card are self-contained and can only be fixed by sending the device in to an Apple store.

"So, when they have initial problems, there could be a big line at the Apple store at the mall," Allan said.

Other potential glitches? Speed. Allan said Apple's Edge Network that operates the Wifi service is slow.

"Apple's saying they did it because the slower network is in 13,000 cities as opposed to 165 major cities," Allan said.

And while users will get Outlook emails, it's not in real time. Only ones already retrieved on the user's desktop will appear, although Allan said potential iPhone buyers, like those willing to camp out for one, won't likely be deterred by early kinks.

"I recommend for people to wait for anything electronic, you need the electronic push to kind of fix. But some people can't wait. They've got to have it," Allan said.

There are also a couple standard features missing from the iPhone, including video camera, instant messaging, direct to phone downloads and no built in GPS.

The phone itself has been kept such a secret that companies that make cell phone accessories have not been able to put out anything for the release Friday, although no one seems to be scared off.

I'm...flabbergasted at how bad that was.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I've had firsthand experience with reporting inaccuracies. I totally believe it. That's why people should always be skeptical of so-called reporting... unless you have first hand knowledge of something, there will always be inaccuracy, miscommunication, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Drudge Report has a link to this video where some dude tried to jack the "reporter's microphone" live on the air. Methinks he was going for the iPhone two inches to the right.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Apple is teh doomed!

Sorry I couldn't help it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    That's my line!