iPhones roll into Apple Store Fifth Ave. in Manhattan (photos)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
It's so close now you can almost feel the chill of freshly brushed aluminum against your palm. There's less than two hours before Apple cuts the ribbon on the largest consumer electronics launch in history.

About an hour ago, iPhones could be seen rolling into the company's flagship shop in Midtown Manhattan (thanks, Alex). Staffers ushered the gadgets into the showroom of the subterranean retail shop on Fifth Avenue using push carts -- the iPhones themselves on top, nestled ever so delicately between layers of protective cloth.

The rumor floating by way of MacNN is that the first 50 people at each Apple Store will receive "a special gift" in addition being some of the first to claim an iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    wow. this is big news. who would'a guessed it?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    haha wow, great news. But anyways, lucky person pushing the cart.

The special gift part is interesting though.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The rumor floating by way of MacNN is that the first 50 people at each Apple Store will receive "a special gift" in addition being some of the first to claim an iPhone.

Hopefully it's a bar of iSoap. I'm guessing Greg Packer might need 2.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

But anyways, lucky person pushing the cart.

She looks tired. Maybe she was one of the employees that had to spend the night in the store last night. And the dude in the blue shirt struting past her must have been the other one. Wow, they're not even making eye contact. Talk about an awkward moment!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'm really getting into the psychosis now... watching live streams from both www.justin.tv/gizmodo AND www.iphonelaunch.tv ... someone please help me...
  • Reply 6 of 15
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

She looks tired. Maybe she was one of the employees that had to spend the night in the store last night. And the dude in the blue shirt struting past her must have been the other one. Wow, they're not even making eye contact. Talk about an awkward moment!

That store is 24 hours so there is no need for a sleep over.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mazzymazzy Posts: 53member
    Check out that last image! Nobody is working. They are all just standing around drinking Martinis and looking at the iPhone!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    I wonder if I can get an "open box" discount on one of those?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Spambegone
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I wonder if I can get an "open box" discount on one of those?

. No.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Removed
  • Reply 12 of 15
    hahah, look at the guy in the last picture (bottom center). He looks pretty mad at the cell phone he's using. Probably getting ready to throw it off a building after he's seen what awaits. Me, I can't afford/don't want to buy one, but I want to just use one and play around with it. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for about a month or so before they will be able to keep any in stock.\

14 minutes to go. I wonder how the rush to get into the store will end up. (foresees trampling and riot cops)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i just came back from a store here in flordia and they still have some left.

i tried it out, i was really impressed with the quality of the images and stuff.

i want one but not now
  • Reply 14 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

i just came back from a store here in flordia and they still have some left.

i tried it out, i was really impressed with the quality of the images and stuff.

i want one but not now

I kinda feel the same way. I had almost convinced myself to buy one, and was at the Apple store when 6PM rolled around to take in the hoopla surrounding initial sales. Came back 90 minutes later and was able to play around on one. Very cool, easy to navigate and fun to use. But for me, it would be more of a toy than something truly usable so I decided to wait and see what happens on the iPhone platform.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

hahah, look at the guy in the last picture (bottom center). He looks pretty mad at the cell phone he's using. Probably getting ready to throw it off a building after he's seen what awaits. Me, I can't afford/don't want to buy one, but I want to just use one and play around with it. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for about a month or so before they will be able to keep any in stock.\

14 minutes to go. I wonder how the rush to get into the store will end up. (foresees trampling and riot cops)

Isn't that guy a celebrity? I forget--an actor or artiist or wall street magnate. I think that explains why he's mad: it's about being caught on film. (He think's the photographer is a parapazzi for the Star, when it's really for AI.)

PS if anyone's in the 5th Ave store now post to the list so we know if there's a line. It's almost 6am in NYC on a Sat. morning--I would think the coast would be clear.