iPhone Wi-Fi and AT&T Minutes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Ok, so all of the iPhone features - including making phone calls - work over Wi-Fi, correct? If so, how will this impact your minutes? Will calls over Wi-Fi count against your contract minutes, or is the counting done on AT&T's end every time you initiate a call over their network?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    No calls over wifi.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Not yet, at least. I think I read that Jobs considers VOIP to be insufficiently compelling, at the moment.

The good news is that if millions of iPhone users deluge Apple with their demands, Apple can send along a software update and atone for their error.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Yeah, I thought this was an interesting exchange:

I'd love to see skype on the next-gen iPhone with video-chatting.

Would Skype functionality require any hardware updates? I was figuring it could come in a software update and app.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yeah, I thought this was an interesting exchange:

Quote:

WSJ: Can you discuss any applications you'd like to see third-party developers create for the iPhone, specifically things like Skype and other voice over Internet protocol software?

Mr. Jobs: We obviously thought about VoIP. You still need a cellular phone because you're not always going to be in a Wi-Fi hotspot. One you have a cellular phone plan, it costs you zero incremental dollars to use it when you're making the next phone call. VoIP, while an interesting technology, didn't seem to be a big breakthrough to us. But others might feel differently, and others may make Web-based VoIP clients available for the iPhone – I think someone's already working on that.

But I think the majority of applications people are going to write for the iPhone are going to be things that corporations like. [Salesforce.com CEO] Mark Benioff has announced he's going to be doing some exciting stuff with the iPhone… I think people are going to surprise us over the next six or nine months with some pretty creative stuff.

WSJ: T-Mobile launched a service this week that allows cellphone calls to roam onto Wi-Fi networks when a user is in a hotspot. The technology is geared at helping people get better coverage indoors and save on their monthly cellular minutes. Is that technology impressive and something either of you have looked at?

Mr. Stephenson: At AT&T we fully expect that. We're working on the technology ourselves. The iPhone is really our first entrée into a dual-mode handset utilizing Wi-Fi and traditional wireless technologies. That's the interesting part about the iPhone. It's causing everybody to stop and reflect on what's possible.

I'd love to see skype on the next-gen iPhone with video-chatting.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Would Skype functionality require any hardware updates? I was figuring it could come in a software update and app.

Skype BLECH if you want VOIP why wouldn't you go with SIP after all it's the standard isn't it?!?!

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Skype BLECH if you want VOIP why wouldn't you go with SIP after all it's the standard isn't it?!?!

Dave

I dunno, but everyone I know who uses voip uses skype. We video chat with family all over the world for free. The kids love it.