Problems activating iPhone... Anyone else having problems?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I bought a phone and my buddy bought a phone. We came back to my house and my phone activated fine and his did not. His phone just wants to mount like it is an iPod under devices tab but with iPhone icon.

Anyone else having problems. Been on support with Apple for over 2 hours but no luck yet with his. He is surfing the web right now via wi-fi but we are bummed out over this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Haven't unboxed mine yet. (Being nice and waiting for my SO to get home.) Will report in later tonight.

Have a great story about picking it up at the SF Apple store.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Mine won't activate either. It says that it requires additional time to complete, but I can't even do anything with mine, even though the FAQs say that I should be able to use all of the other functions (iPod etc). Can't even surf. It's locked out.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

Haven't unboxed mine yet. (Being nice and waiting for my SO to get home.) Will report in later tonight.

Have a great story about picking it up at the SF Apple store.

Be happy to read it.

So far, I don't think you can set purchased iTunes songs as ringtones and no typed search contact option.

Still on hold...
  • Reply 4 of 46
    How is your friends credit rating?
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

How is your friends credit rating?

In the 700's and they accepted his credit card at the store.

We can't get the Activation Screen to come up in iTunes. Not come up at all like it did for my phone.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    If any AT&T or Apple Stores are open, i'd suggest taking it there and getting them to do it instead of waiting on the phone for 2 hours.

Looks like users with verizon are having problems as well. Is he trying to transfer from another service?
  • Reply 7 of 46
    My account activation took about 2 hours before AT&T emailed me and said all clear. However, the actual syncing of the phone and SIM to the AT&T network is still pending, I'm sure they are getting hammered. So at least now I can play with everything EXCEPT for the phone service, hopefully overnight it will get resolved.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by secretvampire View Post

My account activation took about 2 hours before AT&T emailed me and said all clear. However, the actual syncing of the phone and SIM to the AT&T network is still pending, I'm sure they are getting hammered. So at least now I can play with everything EXCEPT for the phone service, hopefully overnight it will get resolved.

Yes I'm guessing that's one of the downsides of being on the West Coast. I picked it up at an AT&T store and they said that their network was slow from all the traffic. It took a long time to get through a line of <100 ppl (and they had 13 registers open).
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

If any AT&T or Apple Stores are open, i'd suggest taking it there and getting them to do it instead of waiting on the phone for 2 hours.

Looks like users with verizon are having problems as well. Is he trying to transfer from another service?

I am going to run it to the store for him tomorrow. He is so bummed. He doesn't own a computer and this was his first Apple purchase. You just have to know this guy. I feel for him. Especially after forking out that $$$ on a phone that works great on my wi-fi here at home but can't place a call because we can't get iTunes to activate the dang thing.

Tomorrow, I go to AT&T and get this resolved, I hope. He lives about 1.5 hours away from the store and I am only 30 minutes so I will be a good bud for him.

And the fact that Apple told me to call back at 9 am in the morning ET because they are having these issues so much, people are in que for a "Genius" for over 2 hours after the initial tech goes through their paces with you.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

He doesn't own a computer and this was his first Apple purchase.

Can you use the iPhone without a computer?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Huh wait... did you and he try to authorize both phones through the same account on the same computer?

Will it let you do that?
  • Reply 12 of 46
    different accounts and different macs. He used my mac bookpro but apple support says itdoesnt matter about that because activation is independent of iTunes accounts.

you must activate your phone through iTunes as of today but AT&T said they would do it tomorrow.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chromos View Post

Mine won't activate either. It says that it requires additional time to complete, but I can't even do anything with mine, even though the FAQs say that I should be able to use all of the other functions (iPod etc). Can't even surf. It's locked out.

I'm in the same boat... just sitting around waiting.

Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel.

That's all I can do.

(Side note: Kevin Smith was in line behind me at the Apple Store at The Grove, LA - and they had plenty of iPhones to go around)
  • Reply 14 of 46
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    It took me 2 minutes. I've read about hits and misses all night.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    sticzsticz Posts: 9member
    If I would have gotten mine to day I would have just waited till tomorrow to attempt activating it. I knew it would be like this, but im sure at&t will have most erros fixxed by tomorrow. I mean there are over 35,000 trying to use the damn thing at one time.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    No problem activating for me. Replaced my existing Cingular phone (Moto v551). iPhone activated in minutes and is syncing as I write this. Can't wait to pop it out of its dock.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

different accounts and different macs. He used my mac bookpro but apple support says itdoesnt matter about that because activation is independent of iTunes accounts.

Everything that I've read explicitly stated that you need an iTunes ID & account to activate the phone. You therefore need to sign into your iTunes account before the phone can be activated. I assume that when you say that you used different accounts you meant different iTunes accounts, in which case, this is not applicable.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiph...ion_small.html

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Mine took just about over 2 hours to finish its activation. That aside...holly crap is this the most AMAZING DEVICE I HAVE EVER LAID MY EYES ON. Your jaw will be on the floor as you do the most simple things. Windows move in ways that you expect fluid to move it. Its FAST!! Everything acts like its pre-rendered out of a James Bond movie. You have to see it to believe it. I have been reading everything iPhone I can for months but nothing compares to using one first hand. Just wow...all I can say is WOW!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 46
    6 hours still waiting for email... thoroughly pissed.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Notorious View Post

6 hours still waiting for email... thoroughly pissed.

I don't get why peolple are mad. Not to belittle you, but what did you expect, buying and activating the thing at the same time as a half miillion other people.

Did you ever try and get through to a radio statoin when they're doing a call-in contest? Or call into a popular talk radio show when the guest or topic is particularly hot?

UInless Apple could have made plans to get more bandwidth for the next few days. But I have no idea how that works.