Apple sells iPhone online with 2-4 week delay

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
It's now possible to learn about and order accessories for Apple's just-launched iPhone -- though buyers who choose to go online may face a substantial wait.

Online Apple Store returns

Following an hours-long shutdown, the online Apple Store has returned with a new "Shop iPhone" section that mimics the previous iPod store-within-a-store.

Though minimal at present, the store includes sub-sections for cases, connectors, phone headsets, and power adapters.

With the exception of the USB Power Adapter already produced for the iPod, however, the iPhone and all accessories are estimated to take as long as 2-4 weeks to ship from the company's warehouses.

iPhone accessory list goes live

To help newcomers to its handset, Apple has backed up its online store's listings with a basic accessory guide that lists all of the first-party peripherals for the device.

Most are replacement cables and adapters that are bundled with the iPhone, though the list also explains the basics of extras such as the $129 Bluetooth headset (which includes a dock and travel cable) or the TTY adapter for the deaf.

Apple also elaborates on backwards compatibility with iPod accessories. Some devices may cause interference and will trigger the phone's Airplane Mode, shutting off wireless. This can be manually disabled with the possibility that the devices can disrupt calls, the company notes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    The biggest annoyance so far -- almost everything else about it is pure pleasure -- is the recessed headphone input. None of my regular noise-canceling or other headphones work. (I despise the stupid earbuds the come with the iPhone).

Make sure to spend the extra few bucks to buy an adapter for it at the Apple store on our way out. You'll thank me. (I should have done that.)

Good thing it comes with a built-in speaker.... a bit tinny, but sounds rather good for something its size!

So far, overall...... almost 22 hours later, I am beyond enthralled!

Yeeeeeeee-haw!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    2 - 4 week shipment is a bit conservative for Apple. The customers who ordered very shortly after the store reopened will probably get theirs a lot sooner - like next week. I think that the 2 - 4 week estimate was based on stocks on hand being sold out in an hour or so.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

2 - 4 week shipment is a bit conservative for Apple. The customers who ordered very shortly after the store reopened will probably get theirs a lot sooner - like next week. I think that the 2 - 4 week estimate was based on stocks on hand being sold out in an hour or so.

Man, I am glad I drove an hour and a half to wait in line. It was well worth it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple also elaborates on backwards compatibility with iPod accessories. Some devices may cause interference and will trigger the phone's Airplane Mode, shutting off wireless. This can be manually disabled with the possibility that the devices can disrupt calls, the company notes.

Thankfully the HSDPA version of the iPhone won't need to shut off wireless because HSDPA doesn't cause this kind of interference.