Anyone having problems porting their phone number to AT&T?

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Anyone having problems porting their phone number to AT&T?

I bought an iPhone last night at an Apple Store. Score!

I had a family plan with T-Mobile (2 phones). My plan is to move ONE phone to AT&T for now and eventually move my wife's number over once her contract expires. Sounds easy right?

I managed to negotiate out of any cancellation fees with T-Mobile for my existing phone. They were very professional and nice too (they saved me $200 in fees). No problems there. So now I have cancelled my phone with T-Mobile and my wife remains on T-Mobile for now. Mission accomplished. Sort of.

OK, So I fired up the iPhone and iTunes 7.3 and being the setup procedure. Once I get to the "Transfer a phone number" screen, I am told by iTunes that the number can NOT be ported. No reasons why. Denied.

I called T-Mobile back and they have no reason to think the problem is on their end of the equation. Time to call my new pals at AT&T right? Lets see how their customer service rates.

So I started to look for a phone number to call the AT&T mothership and get a HUMAN on the phone to help. Of course I couldnt find a toll-free number to call! Serious. The Apple site, the iPhone box, and iTunes contain no number whatsoever.

OK - So after spending a few minutes looking for a nation-wide customer service number I called a local "official" AT&T retail store here in KC MO (one that is actually selling the iPhone). I got a rude chick on the phone who hurriedly told me "Its not an AT&T problem - call Apple". WTF? Now Apple is in the Wireless telco business? I think not. Whatever. Thats as absurd as Apple telling me to call AT&T for a OS X patch for the iPhone. Pay attention kids: Apple = iPhone & software, AT&T = network and billing. Got it?

SOOO I called the MAIN AT&T Wireless support number (it took me forever to FIND the damn number). Of course the robot on the other end wanted me to enter my *existing* AT&T wireless number. Ironically enough I DONT HAVE an ATT&T number to enter yet! Grrr. Infinite loop of shame. So 20 minutes later I get a real (clueless but polite) human on the phone to help me port the T-Mobile number to AT&T. Still in limbo on hold as I type this message. It will be a long day for me. I have been on hold now for 40 minutes. She keeps popping on to tell me "we are having problems with the situation, we are working on it, OK sir?"

To avoid my pain: HERE ARE THE NUMBERS YOU MIGHT NEED:

1-888-898-7685

1-800-My-iPhone

Bottom line:

I already miss the customer service reps at T-Mobile. THose guys rocked. Steve - You picked the wrong carrier dude. I have jumped through hoops to get an iPhone and remain a loyal Apple customer, but the process of registering the iPhone thus far has been brutal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

So now I have cancelled my phone with T-Mobile and my wife remains on T-Mobile for now. Mission accomplished. Sort of.

That right there is probably your problem. You are supposed to port your number before you cancel your existing plan. There is a very good chance you might not get your old number back. Porting your number is what cancels your old service. Good luck too you, and I hope you figure something out.
  • Reply 2 of 2

dstranathan, and Bender0069

hmm dont think the cancellation of your wifes phone was your problem. I DID NOT  cancel mine and I am having the same issue with AT&T.

Trying to port a cricket number to new Galaxy S5 phone through AT&T. didnt' AT&T just aquire Cricket? Purchased the phone and the plan through Amazon ( after speaking with an AT&T customer service person assured me the process would be painless, trust me I AM in pain!) So, I am told it should be resolved (number ported) in another 4 days..

I am happy to report however, that I HAVE just gotten my first bill, with activation charges of course!  WOW.

I wonder how much luck I will have on getting a retro credit for this months service plan.