Is there gonna be a tough screen regular iPod?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
basically the iPhone ability of having a touch screen except having it on a regular 80 gb ipod? that seems to be the next logical step.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Yup. It's quite definitive and it's only a matter of when. The big question is what wireless technologies it will support. Cellular? Obviously not. Wifi? Maybe. Bluetooth? Maybe.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    my guess is it will have wifi and stereo bt? im hoping the wifi will be for REAL sharing, a safari browser, and maybe just maybe mobile itunes.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    tkellytkelly Posts: 50member
    god i hope so. I will wait in line even if there is no f*ing lines.

an iPhone with everything but the phone part....

I would buy an iPhone if I didnt have to get the at&t plan.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Im not sure if there is going to be to much of a uniting of the iphone and ipod when looking at functionality. Technology wise, well it would be stupid not to incorporate newer technology on one and not the other, so yes touch screens are coming soon to an ipod near you. I think the ipod will still be our power house MP3/Video player. I can definatly see Blue tooth being incorporated to use some nice headphones and speakers. I wouldnt be surprised if the video ipods soon supported HD TV. If Im not mistaken you can use the tv dock for the video ipod but it doesnt support HD TV (right?). Apple will leave browsing and other functions to its phone while the ipod will stay king over music playage and video playage. I look at my 80 gig ipod as my portable dvd library.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I dunno. How much of the iPhone's cost is a function of its phone functionality?

The radio and its antenna, maybe the mic, anything else? The software part isn't a unit cost per se, so it seems like what people are asking for is an iPhone without the

EDGE radio and some of the software.

But with an 80GB drive.

So are we cool with a $600 iPod? You could drop the WiFi, or BT, or both, but after that you're really taking about the screen, enclosure, connectors, battery and the chip set to run stripped down OS X. And somehow I don't think people would be that thrilled with a multi-touch iPod that didn't have some kind of wireless-fu.

Face it: multi-touch super screen iPods would be about 90% of an iPhone, with a price to match. Which is not to say Apple couldn't sell a super iPod at a premium price, just that I don't think we should expect Apple to be dropping iPhone tech into midline iPods any time soon.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Frankly, I'd buy the iPhone for $500 without the phone function.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    I hope I'm wrong on this but we may never see a touch widescreen iPod or if we do, not until next year and with a crippled feature set.

Apple has invested a lot of money and prestige on the iPhone and once the initial hype has worn off is going to have to sell a very expensive phone on its merits. The last thing they'll want is a touch widescreen iPod eating into iPhone sales. So if you want a a touch widescreen iPod now, you'll need to buy the iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    If it actually does happen, when do you guys think it will come out. Is this year a possibility or is that just a pipe dream?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    docpregodocprego Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Frankly, I'd buy the iPhone for $500 without the phone function.

I second that! The only reason I am not all over the iPhone right now is the service plan cost. I understand this is a given with a cell phone and the iPhone plans are not particularly expensive, but I don't need a cell phone. So to pay a minimum of $60 extra per month to have access to all of the iPhone's other functions is not something I want to do.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

I second that! The only reason I am not all over the iPhone right now is the service plan cost. I understand this is a given with a cell phone and the iPhone plans are not particularly expensive, but I don't need a cell phone. So to pay a minimum of $60 extra per month to have access to all of the iPhone's other functions is not something I want to do.

I've been wondering. Could one purchase the iPhone, and select a pay as you go type plan, and just not use the minutes? If that is an option, along with the unlimited internet, that would be pretty nice. I was also planning on waiting on a 80+gb iPhone, but I think I could enjoy the iPhone for a year, and ebay it down the road.

BTW, can this be used as a voip device w/o using cellular?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I dunno. How much of the iPhone's cost is a function of its phone functionality?

The radio and its antenna, maybe the mic, anything else? The software part isn't a unit cost per se, so it seems like what people are asking for is an iPhone without the

EDGE radio and some of the software.

But with an 80GB drive.

So are we cool with a $600 iPod? You could drop the WiFi, or BT, or both, but after that you're really taking about the screen, enclosure, connectors, battery and the chip set to run stripped down OS X. And somehow I don't think people would be that thrilled with a multi-touch iPod that didn't have some kind of wireless-fu.

Face it: multi-touch super screen iPods would be about 90% of an iPhone, with a price to match. Which is not to say Apple couldn't sell a super iPod at a premium price, just that I don't think we should expect Apple to be dropping iPhone tech into midline iPods any time soon.

Yup. I think I've come to the same conclusion. An iPod with a 3.5" screen and OS X will not come with any wireless (EDGE/HSDPA, WiFi or BT) radios. And as a result, I think that it will be priced lower than an iPhone, which is kind of depressing for iPhone buyers. It means the iPhone won't be cheaper than $399, maybe $350 for the next year or so.

Right now, the wireless radios are much more valuable item them additional storage, and I think Apple is perfectly willing to milk that demand for the next few months, maybe a year. Ideally, I'd like to see something like for Jan 08:

Code:

$599 120 GB HDD iPhone w/3G

$499 16 GB flash iPhone w/3G

$399 8 GB flash iPhone w/3G

$349 120 GB HDD iPod w/OS X

$249 40 GB HDD iPod w/OS X

$249 16 GB iPod nano

$199 8 GB iPod nano

$149 4 GB iPod nano

$ 79 2 GB iPod shuffle

An iPhone with a 120 GB HDD would obviously have to be 4 or 5 mm thicker for the HDD and a larger battery.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LotharSNL View Post

I've been wondering. Could one purchase the iPhone, and select a pay as you go type plan, and just not use the minutes? If that is an option, along with the unlimited internet, that would be pretty nice. I was also planning on waiting on a 80+gb iPhone, but I think I could enjoy the iPhone for a year, and ebay it down the road.

BTW, can this be used as a voip device w/o using cellular?

Tada! The 6th Gen contract-free WiFi-enabled iPod
  • Reply 13 of 39
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'd like to see this

Code:

$299 80GB HDD iPod w/OS X

$249 16 GB iPod nano

$149 8 GB iPod nano

$99 4GB iPod shuffle

$ 69 2 GB iPod shuffle

Just a couple of slight modifications
  • Reply 14 of 39
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'd like to see this

Code:

$299 80GB HDD iPod w/OS X

$249 16 GB iPod nano

$149 8 GB iPod nano

$99 4GB iPod shuffle

$ 69 2 GB iPod shuffle

Just a couple of slight modifications

I like the $399 8GB Flash iPhone - nice sweet spot for phone + iPod

Flash storage doubles every six months rite? (or in other words, every 6 months price goes down by 50%)
  • Reply 15 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Here's the way the iPod line up will go for Christmas I think:

1. 32GB Flash 6G iPod (with WiFi) $399

2. 100GB Hard Drive 6G iPod (with WiFi) $399

3. 8GB nano $199

4. 16GB nano $299

5. 2GB shuffle $79 - $89
  • Reply 16 of 39
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    32 GB Flash not going to happen any sooner either in iPod or iPhone, it is too expensive to produce as of now, unless apple has exclusive order with samsung.

6 months to 12 months, by next summer definitely 32 GB
  • Reply 17 of 39
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

32 GB Flash not going to happen any sooner either in iPod or iPhone, it is too expensive to produce as of now, unless apple has exclusive order with samsung.

Agreed. Flash gets cheaper, but not that fast.

Although I'd be delighted to be wrong.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

When you order 10,000,000-20,000,000 of something, price can come down rapidly. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a 32GB 6G Multi-touch OS X Wifi enabled $399 video iPod this Christmas.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    We'll get a touch-screen iPod, but it most likely won't have most of the iPhone functions, like browsing, email, google maps, etc. I also doubt it'll have wifi. I think the touchscreen tech, along with larger 1.8" hard drives will be costly enough that that's all we'll get. They might be able to swing 100 GB in the high-end model, though.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

If the iPod goes touch screen, where will they put the scroll wheel?

Please tell me you are joking?

Magic. I managed to reply to someone, using their own comment, before they posted it.