Cancelled online order. Apple owes me money.

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
I ordered the iPhone as soon as it went onsale online and the next morning contacted my local Apple store and they said they still had maybe 100 of them left. So I cancelled my online order and it said to be "You have successfully cancelled your order. You will not be billed for the above items." They DID bill me instantly and have not put the money back in my bank yet.

Has anybody cancelled an online order from Apple.com?

Also, if anybody is looking for iPhones there are a ton of them in the Fort Myers, FL area. I walked into Apple at 9:45am Saturday and I was the only customer in the store. Maybe 12 workers standing around.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22

• Reply 2 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Normally they wouldn't bill you until it ships, and you wouldn't be able to cancel it after it does ship.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    What you may be seeing is the "hold". Depending on how they have their billing system setup, you may just see that hold disappear. However if their system isn't that savvy, then you'll see a charge and credit. Hopefully you didn't use one of those Visa/MC-debit cards where "charging" really means tapping into your bank account, cause then it sucks to have your money temporarily unavailable.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

I ordered the iPhone as soon as it went onsale online and the next morning contacted my local Apple store and they said they still had maybe 100 of them left. So I cancelled my online order and it said to be "You have successfully cancelled your order. You will not be billed for the above items." They DID bill me instantly and have not put the money back in my bank yet.

Also, if anybody is looking for iPhones there are a ton of them in the Fort Myers, FL area. I walked into Apple at 9:45am Saturday and I was the only customer in the store. Maybe 12 workers standing around.

Same thing happen to me. I called them up on the phone (My New iPhone) and they gave me some story about the hold stuff. But, But my point is to them, why are you touching my account with you don't have the ordered items and the order was marked to be cancelled. The nerve of them to tie up my money even for a minute. Good thing I had the money in the account to cover 2 iphones, other wise my account would be in the negative (they don't think about that). I cancelled my online order after I found out that people were walking to the Apple store on Saturday getting iPhones without waiting.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Same thing happen to me. I called them up on the phone (My New iPhone) and they gave me some story about the hold stuff. But, But my point is to them, why are you touching my account with you don't have the ordered items and the order was marked to be cancelled. The nerve of them to tie up my money even for a minute.

When an order is placed, it goes through the credit card company. Tie up your money? What are you, an international banker?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    tdnc101tdnc101 Posts: 109member
    Jesus, that's a lot of phones. In Charlotte there were three left (at around 11:45 AM, after I left with mine) today and the store was clamoring with people.

EDIT: To poster below, their "strict nondisclosure" apparently isn't working to well. The guy at the store told me how many were left.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:

It's interesting you would know that, given both Apple's and AT&T's strict nondisclosure about remaining amounts.

"Tons", huh?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Lot of July 1 posters in these threads! Imagine that!

Shame that so many of these new members of AI are having all this terrible trouble with their new iPhones.

What was the name of that American soap opera that starred Michael J. Fox and later Charlie Sheen?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

It's interesting you would know that, given both Apple's and AT&T's strict nondisclosure about remaining amounts.

"Tons", huh?

As far as I know, they are allowed to disclose how many they recieved/have left. When I was in the AT&T store buying mine, the guy that was ringing me up asked the store manager "are we allowed to say now?" when I asked how many they got. They had gotten 60 total. He said they were out of the 8GB model and had 5 4GB left.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakyfreak View Post

As far as I know, they are allowed to disclose how many they recieved/have left. When I was in the AT&T store buying mine, the guy that was ringing me up asked the store manager "are we allowed to say now?" when I asked how many they got. They had gotten 60 total. He said they were out of the 8GB model and had 5 4GB left.

When I asked the guy he said he had a couple boxes of each in the back. So I'm assuming atleast 30-50 of them.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Same thing happen to me. I called them up on the phone (My New iPhone) and they gave me some story about the hold stuff. But, But my point is to them, why are you touching my account with you don't have the ordered items and the order was marked to be cancelled. The nerve of them to tie up my money even for a minute. Good thing I had the money in the account to cover 2 iphones, other wise my account would be in the negative (they don't think about that). I cancelled my online order after I found out that people were walking to the Apple store on Saturday getting iPhones without waiting.

Well thats what they did to me! I used my Bank of America Visa Debit Card and they took the money out instantly!!!! They didn't even plan on shipping the iphone for 2-4 weeks. Thats ridiculous! I spoke to a woman at Apple this morning and she told me they don't charge you until they ship, so thats a huge lie! Luckily I also had money to buy a 2nd one, but I could have used the money Apple owes me to buy some blinds for the new house and some groceries. Looks like PB&J for dinner this week.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

"Tons", huh?

During our conversation about opening night and such I asked him how many people were standing and waiting that night, he said about 200-300 people. Then I asked him how many they had left and he said "I've got a couple boxes of each in the back."
  • Reply 13 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davekarn View Post

I know that when you get billed for something and end up getting it credited back to your account, it can take up to 3 or 4 days, especially given the fact that it is a weekend and may not reflect until Monday or so.

I had an electronics store tell me that it would take 3-5 days to return my money drom a big return...oddly enough, at the end of the month...(remember, intrest is comupted on first-of-month balances) so I said "it took 3 seconds to take my money, I will be genorous and give you 12 to return it or I will report this as fraud activity"

I had no intention of reporting it, but my credit card was credited in under 5 minutes
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I had an electronics store tell me that it would take 3-5 days to return my money drom a big return...oddly enough, at the end of the month...(remember, intrest is comupted on first-of-month balances) so I said "it took 3 seconds to take my money, I will be genorous and give you 12 to return it or I will report this as fraud activity"

I had no intention of reporting it, but my credit card was credited in under 5 minutes

haha thats funny. Maybe I'll try that.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

What was the name of that American soap opera that starred Michael J. Fox and later Charlie Sheen?

Spin City?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0 View Post

Spin City?

That's right! What was the television series that Tea Leoni was on?... it was bad, real bad.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's right! What was the television series that Tea Leoni was on?... it was bad, real bad.

I'm not sure, she might have been on a different show.

Anyway, I got an email from the Apple Store, my 8gb iPhone will ship within 11 days from now.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

i met the same problems now. i ordered Macbook Pro online and after 2 hours i decided to cancel it because i can't wait to deliver, so i cancelled my online order and it said to be "You have successfully cancelled your order. You will not be billed for the above items." They DID bill me instantly and have not put the money back in my bank yet. How long did apple take to refund the money back to my account? please help ...thanks
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Wow, epic bump. I had a similar issue last year when I was ordering an iPod as a birthday gift. I ended up canceling because my local WalMart broke tradition and actually had the new iPods in stock. I cancelled my apple online order and received a refund 3 days later.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Wow, epic bump. I had a similar issue last year when I was ordering an iPod as a birthday gift. I ended up canceling because my local WalMart broke tradition and actually had the new iPods in stock. I cancelled my apple online order and received a refund 3 days later.

I ordered macbook since 06th Sep and i was cancelled it after ordered for 2 hours. And apple already charge for that items, and i try to call to they customer services but it so crazy to talk to them, cos they always end my call. and i waiting for one week for the refund but it still not work. What to do?