Null.
  • Reply 62 of 130
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 63 of 130
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkRail View Post

Hands down, this is the finest version 1.0 product I've ever owned.

The predicted updates will be great, but I suspect anyone who has used one of these for a couple of hours is already sold for life. I'm one of those lucky souls who bought AAPL around $8 (it was actually $16 pre-split) and playing with this iPhone has convinced me it will double again before next January's Jobsnote. Happy days indeed.

Bring on the mobile file access (hopefully through .Mac and coverflow) and all sorts of other neat features. But if you are WAITING for this stuff before buying an iPhone, you're missing out big-time. This thing is a revelation.

FYI: This was typed [quickly and with two thumbs] on my iPhone

ooooh, stop rubbing it in!
  • Reply 64 of 130
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    This article just disappeared from the AI front page?
  • Reply 65 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by planetWC View Post

As of July 1st it will be illegal in california, home to all those Apple employees with iPhones to use their iPhones in their autos UNLESS there is handsfree use.

That means Voice dialing, NOT touch dialing. How could they miss such a key feature?

They have the bluetooth headsets, why no handsfree dialing? It is a fundamental here.

C'Mon... With Apple being based in CA, you don't think they know about this???

In AT&T's Employee Training Manual (PDF Link) they mention:
    Features available post activation via Customer Care or OLAM:
    • Early N&W

• Roadside assistance

• International data (new feature being created)

• International calling (AT&T WorldConnect)

• Voice Dial

• iPhone Data Plan with 1500 or Unlimited M2M SMS

• Answer Tones

BTW, this thing has some pretty useful info in it for users, even if it was designed for sales staff and pre-iDay.

[Edit]:

Ok. I found the monthly rates (these are with my current plan which uses a basic no-frills LG phone... Don't know it it's any different with iPhone):
    • Early Nights and Weekends (7pm to 7am) - $8.99

• Roadside assistance - $2.99

• International data (new feature being created)

(Not sure if it's the same thing, but...)

- International Long Distance Text Message - $9.99

• International calling (AT&T WorldConnect) - Not mentioned in my price list.

• Voice Activated Dialing - $4.99

• iPhone Data Plan with 1500 or Unlimited M2M SMS - As seen already in price lists.

• Answer Tones - Not mentioned

Now everyone can change their bitch-fest (which I will join right along with) to how it will cost them an additional 5 bucks a month for voice dial. Probably another "demand" from AT&T... "You (Apple) demand this and that from us??? Well, we then demand that we collect $ for these services..."
  • Reply 66 of 130
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Open standards. Quicktime's MOV container (which I believe is Part 12 since Part 14 is based on Part 12) served as the basis for the MP4 container (which is Part 14 of the MPEG-4 standards suite) and AAC (Part 3) replaced AC3.

And Jedi are the same as Ninja except they don't speak Japanese
  • Reply 67 of 130
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You are certainly not alone, which may explain in part why these somewhat deviant activities have become so prevalent.

• Reply 68 of 130
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 69 of 130
    Back to Mac.

To be able to browse your home Mac through the internet would be great on the iPhone.
  • Reply 70 of 130
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    So twist the law around to suite your desires? I live here in california "home of people" with cellphones.

For your freaking information the LAW NEVER EVER has covered dialing the number with your hands, NOR will it ever. The law in lame speak says "That you will be required to NOT have your handset to your ear or be texting on it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by planetWC View Post

As of July 1st it will be illegal in california, home to all those Apple employees with iPhones to use their iPhones in their autos UNLESS there is handsfree use.

That means Voice dialing, NOT touch dialing. How could they miss such a key feature?

They have the bluetooth headsets, why no handsfree dialing? It is a fundamental here.

• Reply 71 of 130
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

You mean like Quicktime and AAC?

The codec QT uses and AAC are open standard. QT has no equivalent proprietary codec like Windows Media.
  • Reply 72 of 130
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The codec QT uses and AAC are open standard. QT has no equivalent proprietary codec like Windows Media.

Yes it does.

Sorenson is weirdly still used by some people and there's also Apple Pixlet, Quicktime can wrap around both open and proprietary codecs. You can wrap a DivX even with a quicktime wrapper.

Both aren't particularly widespread with most people using MPEG derived standards but Quicktime can be proprietary.
  • Reply 73 of 130
    planetwcplanetwc Posts: 34member
    SB1613 would:

Require motorists to use a hands-free device when using a cell phone while driving.

Impose a $20 fine for a first offense, $50 for subsequent offenses.

Exempt emergency personnel, farm vehicle operators, tow truck drivers and commercial truck drivers.

Exempt motorists making 911 calls.

In ANY case smart@ss it would be a lot safer to be dialing using voice dial than looking at a touchdisplay and finger dialing. Hands down easier and safer. Why $49 phones have voice dialing but the $600 iPhone doesn't is plain stupid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

So twist the law around to suite your desires? I live here in california "home of people" with cellphones.

For your freaking information the LAW NEVER EVER has covered dialing the number with your hands, NOR will it ever. The law in lame speak says "That you will be required to NOT have your handset to your ear or be texting on it.

• Reply 74 of 130
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Yes it does.

I guess you have to be super specific. Sorenson isn't an Apple codec. Apple isn't pushing its use. Windows Media is own by Microsoft who is attempting to dominate the world with it.
  • Reply 75 of 130
    When I logged on to my AT&T account, there was an option to add voice dialing. It's $5/month and requires you to dial *8 prior to announcing the name.

That's a no go. It's just as easy to access my contact favorites as it is to access the keypad.

Hopefully Apple will add it in a future software update.
  • Reply 76 of 130
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Bluetooth is how phone viruses spread. It's not really THAT much of a problem, but I still lock down Bluetooth when it's not being used.

Sebastian

Like any form of wireless communications there is a risk involved. However most only use this function when doing something specific like transfer of a file. I dont really see your argument as if your not doing a specific thing using BT then it shouldnt be on anyway. Why would you want to leave it on if your not making use of it. Your only draining your battery.
  • Reply 77 of 130
    Who's going to write an iPhone virus bearing in mind there's no development tools, no compiler, no SDK?

Even then, Apple could simply block .app file transfer and the .apps are signed anyway.

A virus is the most unconvincing argument EVAH! for blocking off bluetooth file transfer of songs and pictures. I'd guess Apple just haven't worked out the fine details yet in their media sharing functionality. It'll be like iTunes/iPhoto sharing via Bonjour over Bluetooth/WiFi when it's done.
  • Reply 78 of 130
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Although I really want an iPhone and I'd gladly go out and buy this version today, at least when the iPhone does come to the UK this autumn, we should have a full feature set and any bugs will be ironed out!

\
  • Reply 79 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Although I really want an iPhone and I'd gladly go out and buy this version today, at least when the iPhone does come to the UK this autumn, we should have a full feature set and any bugs will be ironed out!

\

My thoughts exactly. A few million Mercan test patsies should iron out a lot of bugs before we get it.
  • Reply 80 of 130
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

When I logged on to my AT&T account, there was an option to add voice dialing. It's $5/month and requires you to dial *8 prior to announcing the name.

What's the point if you have to hit two keys?