MacBook or Laptop

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
First Post by the way so a big hello to you all

I'm after a macbook/laptop (should be buying it next month unless there?s a good reason not to) and just wanted to know which out of the two you guys would go for? Is it worth paying that little extra to be apart of the mac world or would I be better sticking with PC?

Also out of apples current choice of macbooks which one would you go for and would you make any changes to the specs or would you hold tight to see what?s on the horizon (OS X leopard)?

I?m looking to budget about £1000 to this and the laptop will be used for photo editing primarily ? I have access to PS CS2 for PC and PS CS3 for Mac so I?m happy enough to go PC or Mac,

So what would you guys do?

/Ste

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteTwin View Post

I'm after a macbook/laptop (should be buying it next month unless there’s a good reason not to) and just wanted to know which out of the two you guys would go for? Is it worth paying that little extra to be apart of the mac world or would I be better sticking with PC?

Also out of apples current choice of macbooks which one would you go for and would you make any changes to the specs or would you hold tight to see what’s on the horizon (OS X leopard)?

I’m looking to budget about £1000 to this and the laptop will be used for photo editing primarily – I have access to PS CS2 for PC and PS CS3 for Mac so I’m happy enough to go PC or Mac,

/Ste

What do you think, we will recommend, this is apple fanatic forum, after all!!! Seriously though, moving to Mac platform was the best thing for me to do, I just hated Windows so much, I was ready to adopt anything over Microsoft product. I still have linux installed, but rarely used, hadn't used mac much before, but fell in love immediately. All you should remember, that OSX is not windows, some things are done differently. Letting go some of the old habits can be hard, but also quite rewarding. When you realize that the major annoyances viruses, spyware and bloatware don't bother you anymore, or slow down your brand new computer.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:

I'm after a macbook/laptop (should be buying it next month unless there?s a good reason not to) and just wanted to know which out of the two you guys would go for? Is it worth paying that little extra to be apart of the mac world or would I be better sticking with PC?

Also out of apples current choice of macbooks which one would you go for and would you make any changes to the specs or would you hold tight to see what?s on the horizon (OS X leopard)?

I?m looking to budget about £1000 to this and the laptop will be used for photo editing primarily ? I have access to PS CS2 for PC and PS CS3 for Mac so I?m happy enough to go PC or Mac,

/Ste

No one here is going to direct you to buy a Windows machine, unless you tell them gaming is all you want to do with it, and even then you will get arguments for buying a Mac.

There is no question in my mind, based on what you want to do, that the Mac is the best choice for you. My wife is a photographer and I teach photoshop and create the yearbook at the school at which I teach. All we have are Macs. I can tell you that the kids who enter my classes in August, uncertain of what to do with a Mac, often tell my long before the year is out that their next/first computer will be a Mac.

It is not perfect and it can and does have issues from time to time, but it is way better than the alternative. If you are looking for more information about switching, I invite you to check out the iSwitched "lens" in my signature.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    stetwinstetwin Posts: 13member
    Anyone able to help me regarding

"Also out of apples current choice of macbooks which one would you go for and would you make any changes to the specs or would you hold tight to see what?s on the horizon (OS X leopard)?"

How far away is Leopard and do the macs at the moment offer a free upgrade to it like windows did with vista?

/Ste
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Anyone able to help me regarding

"Also out of apples current choice of macbooks which one would you go for and would you make any changes to the specs or would you hold tight to see what?s on the horizon (OS X leopard)?"

How far away is Leopard and do the macs at the moment offer a free upgrade to it like windows did with vista?

/Ste

Leopard is due in October, if you buy now, you won't get an upgrade voucher. IIRC, Apple have done upgrades in the past, but only once a definitive release date has been announced, and even then only for maybe 4 weeks prior to release. Leopard is likely to be £80 - £100 in the UK, so you should factor that into your purchasing decision (as a plus or minus! Some people think their time is worth more over 4 months or so, and buy now. Some people think it is worth waiting to save the cash. Some think Tiger is good anyway...) The choice is yours really. Myself, I'm getting the MBP as soon as I register for my P/T college course (course fees £60, student discount £100)

As for specs, again its of little help to you, but its a matter of horses for courses. Holding tight for what's on the horizon makes no sense - whenever and whatever you buy, there is always better on the horizon. Choose what you think will do what you want it to do.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If you think of further questions, there are plenty of people on these forums ready to help, who are far more qualified than me
  • Reply 5 of 18
    100mph100mph Posts: 256member
    I am no Mac devotee. Used Windows from the begining (of Windows ), and know all the ins and outs. But with Mac OS I don't need to know anything, just turn on and use it.

Just take em both in your hands, and feel the difference.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    If I was looking to buy a mac for running CS3 primarily what Mac laptop would be the bare minimum you guys would recommend to get good performance?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

If I was looking to buy a mac for running CS3 primarily what Mac laptop would be the bare minimum you guys would recommend to get good performance?

I believe that from the CS3 devs the primary performance criteria is the more memory the better vs hw graphics acceleration. So given your budget and memory prices from crucial (if you feel comfortable installing your own) or Apple (if you aren't) will tell you which is best. Certainly the 15" MBP with the best CPU/GPU with max memory would be the best option if cost was not an issue.

I have the older 17" MBP and given the somewhat unwieldy nature when mobile and the lack of real utility when at my desk (I use a 30" ACD) I'd say the 15" is a better form factor. Now that they have a higher resolution 17" that equation may have changed a little bit but given the cost delta and the fact that the 17" really doesn't FIT anywhere (my backpack is overstuffed with the 17" and its the one designed for the 17", the 17" doesn't fit the hotel safes, etc).

Vinea
  • Reply 8 of 18
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    If you were to buy right now, get the 15" Macbook Pro with the LED backlighting, as much memory and storage as you can afford. Your machine will be a full 64bit machine, able to run both Windows Vista and Leopard for many years to come.

17" MBP will be replaced eventually with an LED backlit version, but your better off keeping the difference and buying an external screen.

Remember, laptop screens are only 6-bit capable (265k colours), as well as cheaper flat screens. Only IPS/*VA 8-bit screens can get close to displaying 16m colours.

I see no point in buying a PC nowdays when you can buy a mac and boot into either os, or even run both side by side using Parallels Desktop
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

If you were to buy right now, get the 15" Macbook Pro with the LED backlighting, as much memory and storage as you can afford. Your machine will be a full 64bit machine, able to run both Windows Vista and Leopard for many years to come.

17" MBP will be replaced eventually with an LED backlit version, but your better off keeping the difference and buying an external screen.

Remember, laptop screens are only 6-bit capable (265k colours), as well as cheaper flat screens. Only IPS/*VA 8-bit screens can get close to displaying 16m colours.

I see no point in buying a PC nowdays when you can buy a mac and boot into either os, or even run both side by side using Parallels Desktop

Unfortunately my new room will have no space for a desk meaning I will have no room for an external screen (this is why I need the laptop you see ? and also why I want to get the best I can for my money )
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jdradenjdraden Posts: 89member
    I agree with the others on this one. Get the 15" 2.2Ghz Macbook Pro. It comes with enough memory and hard drive space that you don't have to make any customizations to the base model.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    getluvgetluv Posts: 7member
    It's been nearly a week since my first mac came to me via TNT. I couldn't believe how quick Apple sent it. I own the Black Macbook which I have to say is the most proudest thing I own. It's great to use. There are a few kinks I have to get use to, but in a month i think i will know more about my mac than i did with a lifetime of using Windows computers. I'm glad I've chosen a mac.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Unfortunately my new room will have no space for a desk meaning I will have no room for an external screen (this is why I need the laptop you see ? and also why I want to get the best I can for my money )

No worries - spend any extra money on more RAM, or more perhaps more sensibly, a decent FireWire 800 external hard drive for TimeMachine backups
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

No worries - spend any extra money on more RAM, or more perhaps more sensibly, a decent FireWire 800 external hard drive for TimeMachine backups

I hadn't thought of an external hard drive for Time Machine, are they expensive?

Also i have a Reaper gaming mouse and a Sennheiser USB headset that i use with my current pc (one was a gift from my brother and the other from my girlfriend) since they both were gifts i don?t really want to sell them on when i get rid of my PC but will they work with a Mac?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    I just got my first mac and it happens to be the new 2.4 MBP. Ive had it for almost a week now and have really only gotton to dink around on it for about 5 solid hours, due to work, and Ive picked up OS X already. I am also unconnected to the internet since I live off of dial-up still, no available broadband, and I have yet connected my MBP to the net yet. But to answer your questions:

1) Yes it is worth the money to go with a mac. I believe that you cant go wrong trying something that is rated so well by so many people atleast once, so give it a try.

2) Id go for the 2.2 MBP given your budget, but since you wont be buying until a little later maybe you can save for the higher end 2.4 MBP.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EasyC View Post

Id go for the 2.2 MBP given your budget, but since you wont be buying until a little later maybe you can save for the higher end 2.4 MBP.

The only problem is the pricing isnt as generous over here in the uk

UK Prices

MBP 2.4 £1,599 = $3,227

MBP 2.2 £1,299 = $2,621

MB 2.16 £949 = $1,915

US Prices

MBP 2.4 $2,499 = £1,238

MBP 2.2 $1,999 = £990

MB 2.16 $1,499 = £742

So the price of a Black MB here is almost that of the MBP over there, I think that we pay about the same money for one model less over here in the UK which really does suck and unfortunately saving another £650 is out of the question, even getting the extra £350 to get the normal MBP will be a push

Thanks for all the replies and help guys, its been much appreciated and I plan to buy apple in the near future

/Ste
  • Reply 16 of 18
    MBP 2.2 15" + External HDD (about £200 for 750Gb) - check Dabs.com for a FireWire capable version, preferably FireWire 800.

If you take a cheap college evening class (anything to get a student card), you may be able to wangle a Student Discount from Apple
  • Reply 17 of 18
    unfortunately the mbp is out of my price range (i only have £1000 and the MBP is £1299) but my brother is a student so i could always get him to buy it for me yeah?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Worth a shot!