Won't buy iphone now - service kills it for me

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As many of you did, Friday night I ran out to check out the iphone. I waited my turn to actually hold one and play with the functionality and I have to say, it definitely lives up to the hype. It worked just like the Apple commercials said it would. The internet was amazing and zooming in was sweet. So all in all it is worth the price tag for the device itself - alone.

The only problem is, you are forced to sign up for a service plan. This plan is like a bad date that is going to cost you plenty. Imagine your mom hooked you up on a blind date, you saw the picture and she was decent looking but when she got in the car and laughed like a chipmunk it was downhill from there!

$59 * 24 is $1460 over 2 years, that’s the basement plan without the activation fee and any other charges AT&T will sock you with. And after the 2 years then what? What if you are fed up with AT&T's service and want to change? They know you have no options. You will have to listen to that laugh and shell out cash for it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I like chipmunks...

There are other threads talking about just this; you might want to join in on one of them. From the sound of it, you won't be buying any cel phone for some time.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    If you know sombody with really bad credit, I heard that you can get them to activate it, and it works - but since they don't have the credit rating to qualify for the plan they just get a pure unlocked phone that you can use with T-moble.

You won't get visual voice mail, though.

Do you research before you buy, though - this is just a rumor, not a guarentee that it will work.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Lemme get this straight... you want a smart-phone and all the advantages that go with it and you don't want to pay for it... How very nice... Why don't you go out and price any voice+data plan with any US carrier (or world I'd imagine) and you'd be paying MORE...

Clean your room and maybe mommy will help you pay for it.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    It'll cost $1,460 if you currently don't own a cellphone. If you own a cellphone, then you are paying a cellphone bill and need to deduct that bill amount from whatever iPhone plan you decide to use to come to a net expense.

Personally I just added the $20/mo iPhone data plan to my current plan. I can live with this charge to have the internet available in my pocket.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    newmaqnewmaq Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Lemme get this straight... you want a smart-phone and all the advantages that go with it and you don't want to pay for it... How very nice... Why don't you go out and price any voice+data plan with any US carrier (or world I'd imagine) and you'd be paying MORE...

Clean your room and maybe mommy will help you pay for it.

Dave

Gee Dave, Sorry to hear your so emotional about the issue. I guess to clarify my comment, I don't like the idea of being locked into one service provider without a choice, particularly the one we are talking about. Just sharing my thoughts Dave, not trying to make you upset.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newmaq View Post

I don't like the idea of being locked into one service provider without a choice, particularly the one we are talking about.

So then don't lie and say it's the price when in fact you'd simply rather not deal with AT&T... That's a perfectly acceptable reason but quite frankly it certainly didn't require you to start YET ANOTHER thread... Imagine if everyone was so self important that they were justified in creating a thread detailing why they wouldn't buy the iPhone... This forum would be flooded with millions of whiny threads most of them saying the exact same thing.

No iPhone FOR ME! I don't like AT&T!!

It would be rather redundant wouldn't you think?

Thank goodness not everyone is self important...

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 7
    newmaqnewmaq Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

So then don't lie and say it's the price when in fact you'd simply rather not deal with AT&T... That's a perfectly acceptable reason but quite frankly it certainly didn't require you to start YET ANOTHER thread... Imagine if everyone was so self important that they were justified in creating a thread detailing why they wouldn't buy the iPhone... This forum would be flooded with millions of whiny threads most of them saying the exact same thing.

It would be rather redundant wouldn't you think?

Thank goodness not everyone is self important...

Dave

I had no idea how self centered and selfish my post was. \ I hope you'll find it in your heart to forgive me. I will try to do better in future posts now that I know the right etiquette. Thank you for your help and guidance, I am a better poster because of it.