Keyboard shortcut (Apple-Z) does not work?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am slightly confused. Why can I not use the "Undo" keyboard shortcut? I press the Apple button + Z and nothing happens. Am I missing something here? The program's Garageband by the way.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    restart your computer. (worth a shot.)
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

restart your computer. (worth a shot.)

Just double-checked, and that didn't work. Funny how many things that can fix though...

Any other help out there? I'm also finding this doesn't work with MS Word either. Why doesn't this seemingly universal keyboard shortcut seem to fail me?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    *bump*
  • Reply 4 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    First, there must be something to Undo. Is the "Undo" command enabled in the Edit menu? If so, what does it say that its command-key equivalent is (listed to the right of the word "Undo" in the menu)? If it isn't a cloverleaf and a z, then somehow it got changed.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

First, there must be something to Undo. Is the "Undo" command enabled in the Edit menu? If so, what does it say that its command-key equivalent is (listed to the right of the word "Undo" in the menu)? If it isn't a cloverleaf and a z, then somehow it got changed.

Yeah, I know something has to be done in order to undo something. The shortcut says cloverleaf and a Z. When I click the command, it does what it's supposed to. Please help! All other commands such as copy, paste, and cut work fine
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Turn on "Enable access for assistive devices" in Universal Access.

Open TextEdit, type something and select the text.

Then copy this script into Script Editor

Code:

tell app "TextEdit" to activate

tell app "System Events" to tell process "TextEdit"

keystroke "x" using command down

delay 2

keystroke "z" using command down

end tell

Run it and see if TextEdit cuts the text and undoes the Cut command.

If it doesn't, an Archive and Install would be my advice.

It could be some utility that you installed.

Set the key shortcuts back to factory in the Keyboard prefs.

I assume the z key types a z when you hit it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Turn on "Enable access for assistive devices" in Universal Access.

Open TextEdit, type something and select the text.

Then copy this script into Script Editor

Code:

tell app "TextEdit" to activate

tell app "System Events" to tell process "TextEdit"

keystroke "x" using command down

delay 2

keystroke "z" using command down

end tell

Run it and see if TextEdit cuts the text and undoes the Cut command.

If it doesn't, an Archive and Install would be my advice.

It could be some utility that you installed.

Set the key shortcuts back to factory in the Keyboard prefs.

I assume the z key types a z when you hit it.

I tried what you told me, and this is the result that I got. The text cut successfully, but it did not undo the cut command. Ok, so I'm assuming that means the problem is more complicated than it should be. what do you mean by "Archive and Install"?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

I tried what you told me, and this is the result that I got. The text cut successfully, but it did not undo the cut command. Ok, so I'm assuming that means the problem is more complicated than it should be. what do you mean by "Archive and Install"?

He means to pop in your Mac OS X reinstall CD's (or DVD's) and reinstall your system, choosing to "Archive and Install" so as to save your data, rather than "Upgrade" or "Erase and Install".
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

He means to pop in your Mac OS X reinstall CD's (or DVD's) and reinstall your system, choosing to "Archive and Install" so as to save your data, rather than "Upgrade" or "Erase and Install".

yeah, that's what I figured. I'm new to Mac Do I need to be concerned over losing any settings or things of that sort?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:

yeah, that's what I figured. I'm new to Mac Do I need to be concerned over losing any settings or things of that sort?

Nope. There's a selection under "Archive and Install" called "Preserve User and Network Settings". Having it selected will transfer your user and all your settings to the new OS automatically. All you'll need to do is run updates again.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    *sigh*-swallows pride-

I'm an idiot. I realized in the middle of reinstalling OS X what the problem was. I had set the "Text to Speech" key as Apple-Z. Gah, I'm an idiot. I appreciate everyone's help! Perhaps I'll help another fellow idiot somewhere down the road. Haha, I can only hope.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

*sigh*-swallows pride-

I'm an idiot. I realized in the middle of reinstalling OS X what the problem was. I had set the "Text to Speech" key as Apple-Z. Gah, I'm an idiot. I appreciate everyone's help! Perhaps I'll help another fellow idiot somewhere down the road. Haha, I can only hope.

WOW ...Oh well, at least you know not to do that again haha. Why did you set it to that to begin with?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

WOW ...Oh well, at least you know not to do that again haha. Why did you set it to that to begin with?

Because... I'm an idiot? I obviously wasn't thinking. Just my random pick for that shortcut.