Apple update rids "popping sounds" from Intel-based Macs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Inc. on Monday released a minor software update to its Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system that will put an end to the strange 'popping' sounds that became prevalent on some systems following last month's Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update.

Specifically, the Audio Update 2007-001 [660KB] addresses an issue with version 1.0 of the Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update in which a popping sound might be heard with some external speakers on Intel-based Mac.

Apple is recommending the Audio Update for all Intel-based Macs running Mac OS X 10.4.10. However, the company notes that the update can be installed only if the Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update client (or Universal Server) update is already installed.

For those Intel Mac users who have yet to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.4.10, Apple has re-released Mac OS X 10.4.10 as Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update v1.1 (Intel), which bundles the audio fix.

Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update v1.1 (Intel) is available as a 72MB download in delta form or a 297.2MB download in Combo updater form.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    It has been driving up the wall on my CD Mini 1.66 GHz! Thank you Apple. I thought it was feedback from running an ehternet cable over the cable drop going across the road until I went wireless. I then knew something wasn't right.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    I just noticed the popping sound myself, thinking it had to do with some interference from my iPhone. And not two minutes later....

In jobs i trust
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Glad they are fixing this. It's not a biggie for me, but it is annoying.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    I want Apple to release a fix for the MBP RevA "c4state-whine issue" FFS!

Sick of using 3rd party fixes like ShhMBP!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Dear lord thank you!

I wasn't overly annoyed but still I like quiet when I'm not playing music.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    No way, it didn't solve the annoying pop sound.

When the system doesn't emit a sound for more than 1 minute, and then you do an action that causes a sound emission (e.g., empty trash), the popping experience starts again. It happens on boot sound too...

Any good news from you guys?

Thank you,

Luca
  • Reply 7 of 20
    while it does say that the delta update filesize is 72MB at the apple website, the file is actually only 1.3MB.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saschke View Post

I want Apple to release a fix for the MBP RevA "c4state-whine issue" FFS!

Sick of using 3rd party fixes like ShhMBP!

Dude, I had the problem. They have an update logic board replacement for that.

As far as the sound problems, I won't know until I go into work tomorrow morning at which point I will post back here because my Mini does it every 30 seconds or so all day long!!!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    dtenn913dtenn913 Posts: 1member
    Thank goodness that Apple has fixed this. I've noticed it for quite some time now and it becomes incredibly annoying.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    I occasionally get a 'popping' sound on my G4 iMac runnning 10.3.9. To get rid of it I have to restart which does the trick. It is quite rare and seems to happen arbitrarily without any obvious cause.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I'll be waiting for the 10.4.10 1.2 then. Still no word on a fix for the Macbook users that did update but have been having problems after putting it to sleep.

Sebastian
  • Reply 12 of 20
    biggsjmbiggsjm Posts: 25member
    I still won't install 10.4.10. I just spent last night restoring my MBP which I bought in April because ever since I had installed it my wifi was intermittent and my computer unexpectedly froze (panic) every time i accessed the internet. I still do not know what caused this.

Anyone else have these issues?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    ameristamerist Posts: 77member
    Oh my God. I thought something was wrong with my stereo. I would have never suspected the mac, but now that you mention it, the problem did start occurring recently and for no apparent reason. I was going crazy trying to find the source. I thought it was a problem with my cabling since the pops would usually occur whenever the air conditioner kicked on or if I clicked on a fluorescent lamp in the vicinity of my Intel-based Mac Mini. I'm glad to hear that it's been fixed and that I'm not the only one with the problem.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I already tested and ruled out my cellphone and my neighbor's stereo!

My last guess was a problem in the speakers themselves. Wasn't bothered enough so far to look deeper into this, and definitely didn't guess it was software.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Dude, I had the problem. They have an update logic board replacement for that.

d'oh... you're right. i did not remember that and mistakenly assumed there has to be a software solution... maybe i'll send it in when i'm on vacation in august... how well went the repair process with your unit??
  • Reply 16 of 20
    blaizefmblaizefm Posts: 4member
    Wierd! I had that popping noise and thought it was my hi-fi I have connected to the mac.

Looks like this will solve the problem. Cool
  • Reply 17 of 20
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    I had hoped this update would fix the "third-party USB webcam has no audio" bug, but alas, it does not!

Come on Apple. Let's refocus on the core business here.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWAL View Post

I just noticed the popping sound myself, thinking it had to do with some interference from my iPhone. And not two minutes later....

There may be another popping sound problem with the iPhone though. There are issues with phones on the AT&T network causing interference on speakers/audio amplifiers of all sorts. Car radios, windows PCs, Macs are all susceptible to interference on their cell phone frequency.

For example a realtor walked into our office the other day and our secretary's speakers started buzzing. Being familiar with the sound from my friends phone doing the same thing, I asked the realtor if he was on AT&T and he said yes and also confirmed he was aware of the speaker problem.

It may be just certain phones but always AT&T.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Yay, my MacBook no longer sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies!
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saschke View Post

d'oh... you're right. i did not remember that and mistakenly assumed there has to be a software solution... maybe i'll send it in when i'm on vacation in august... how well went the repair process with your unit??

First, the update stopped my Mini from popping. Not a pop all day.

Second, the repair went well both times. The first they replaced the power inverter (I think) and the second came the "fix" with the new logic board. My clikc button doesn't move as much and I may have to send it back one day when I am free long enough to be without for them to fix the movement but all in all, it went fine.