Window PC I tunes >>>to New Mac I Book Help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello

First thankyou for your time in this matter

My wife has a PC xp with I tunes, I talked her into new I book, Now I would like to transfer her I tunes Library from her PC to a western digital Passport external Hard-drive, Then I can place it on her New I book.

Can anyone share a step by step to get this done ? If I mess up in the early stages of this new era for her might give her a bad outlook on a purchase I talked her into.

Thankyou very much

TG

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Traumagas View Post

Hello

First thankyou for your time in this matter

My wife has a PC xp with I tunes, I talked her into new I book, Now I would like to transfer her I tunes Library from her PC to a western digital Passport external Hard-drive, Then I can place it on her New I book.

Can anyone share a step by step to get this done ? If I mess up in the early stages of this new era for her might give her a bad outlook on a purchase I talked her into.

Thankyou very much

TG

It's really quite simple. Assuming the the HD is formatted, on the pc, go to My Music/iTunes/iTunes Library (or something similar to that). Then just drag the library folder onto the harddrive. Once it's done copying, plug it into the macbook and open iTunes, and drag that folder into the main screen. It should copy the music to a similarly named folder in the finder (Music/iTunes/iTunes Library). Also, anything protected by DRM will need to be authorized on the macbook too. I think that should cover it. If the Harddrive is not formatted yet, it is relatively easy and windows should help you do it. If windows decides to be dumb like it sometimes does, go to disk management (I don't remember how to get there but you can search for it) and find the disk (it will have gray bars through it and say unformatted I believe), right click, either format or partition and choose all of the disk space and probably choose NFTS since both your mac and pc can read that. Hope this helps.