POTS / VOIP iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Question:

Would you buy a POTS / VOIP iPhone - Akin to what you find at Price Club / Costco / BJ's - Where it comes with a base-station and 2 additional 5Ghz iPhone handsets with desktop chargers.

Details:

The base-station would have :

- WIFI 802.11N

- 5GHz for phone

- Support POTS IN (if you use an existing VIOP or (shiver) have a traditional phone line

- Spoorts POTS OUT (if you wish to 'feed' a VOIP dial tone over the existing household telco wires.

- Supports VOIP

- Bluetooth in the base station (dunno which makes more sense - or maybe not needed?)

iPhone basic feature set we see today (just no cellular)

- FLASH 2GB maybe less... since you'll be home you can simply map whatever drive you need over your network your on 802.11N

- 5Ghz wireless back to the base station (needed?)

- 802.11N for ethernet

- Battery LESS - Remember these phones are not 'going with you' they are home phones and sit in charging cradles when not being used... Much smaller battery needed.

- Cellular Chip-set - Not needed this is a POTS phone.

- Bluetooth in the iPhone? (dunno which makes more sense - or maybe not needed?)

- Touch screen (same maybe even a tad larger since this is a home phone)

Those are the basics.... so what do you think and would you buy it??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Nah, I'm trying to get rid of my landline and go straight mobile. Trying to justify the iPhone by doing this. Would save me about $50 a month in landline bills that could help pay for the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Nah, I'm trying to get rid of my landline and go straight mobile. Trying to justify the iPhone by doing this. Would save me about $50 a month in landline bills that could help pay for the iPhone.

Hmmm you got a good point.... After all it's only me and the wife... and going cell-only would save me my VOIP charges ($25 per) that I could add to our existing plan (we pay about $100 for our current 2 line family plan - no iPhones yet) - it just scares me to think I'd be at the mercy of the cell phone company and would have to think twice about the incoming/outgoing calls that (at home) are all you can eat... Then again MUCH of that is calls between me and my wife (if I took the time to figure it all out)... Also since we have a phone at home we aren't in the habit of carrying a phone around and it would be a pain-in-the to have to forever hunt for the phone... We don't have a HUGE house but its 4 bedrooms and on two different floors and we tend to utilize both floors pretty equally...

How DO 'cell-only' people doing this - especially the ladies who don't always/usually have useable pockets to put the phone? You don't walk around the house with your purse all day...

- Small homes / one story homes?

- Some device that allows you to utilize your 'home phones' with a cell phone??

- Something else???

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Why need a base station when you have airport already?

Why give people the ability to connect to a 'pots' line?

If you are making such a do-dad, might as well drop the call on the digital cellular network or make a SIP client for the iPhone.

What 'iPhone' features would you stick in such a handset? Music? Movies? If you are chained to your house, when would you need these? Pointless.

Bottom line, telephony (especially in the consumer space) is a risky business. This would not be a marriage Apple would undertake.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

What 'iPhone' features would you stick in such a handset? Music? Movies? If you are chained to your house, when would you need these? Pointless.

Pointless to you... Here is just one example (using music)

Have you ever looked at how CLUMSY and SUCKY 'whole house audio' is? Well unless you are willing to spend GOBS and GOBS of cash... I can rip all my music LOSSLESS and I even bet I could do multi-zone/room audio via available command line open source apps... BUT how on earth do you USE IT?!?! In the kitchen and wanna play an album OR simply BROWSE my collection... You you really think it's elegant to go up/down stairs into your computer room just to find some song you were looking for?!?! You're not going to have or want a full-bore computer in the Living room, dining room, master BR, family room, deck area, etc etc etc... BUT you STILL want access to your music... a 'hone iPhone' would do the trick... (as would a tablet) but I didn't want to bring up that word... some people around here FREAK at the very sight of it.

Dave