Attention Sync Gurus!!!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
OK, I have to admit that the logic behind syncing is confounding me. I understand if a contact exists on my Mac, but not on the iPhone.....syncing will put it on the iPhone.

But what's up with Calendar? I synced up everything but when I added a new event on the phone, it did not add it to Calendar on my Mac (I have it set to sync All Calendars). When I unplugged it and tried to sync again, it still wasn't in Calender on the Mac and removed the new event from the phone! And why can I not assign "Work" or "Home" on the iPhone, but I can on my Mac? There is a preference in iTunes where I have to choose one or the other for all events that I create on the iPhone.

What's up with iPhoto? I synced two photo albums. They synced OK. But then I realized that one album (with 48 photos) was the wrong album. In iTunes, I unchecked the wrong album and checked the correct album, then re-synced. The wrong album stayed on the iPhone, the correct album never made it to the iPhone. And worse, you cannot delete a picture or an album from the iPhone? Really?

I really hope I'm missing something here and this syncing thing is not really this hard to understand or control.

(Also, can someone correctly conjugate the word sync? synched? synced? syncing?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Can't help you with your synching problems, but I can help you with your spelling. Synch is short for synchronise (and, yes, I understand that this is normally spelled with a "z", but I choose "s"s whenever I can), so shortening it further to "sync" is no worse than shorten it to "synch." As well, synched, synced, synching, syncing, etc... are all acceptable. In the US, generally the preference would be toward the shorter form, sync-; and in Britain to the longer form, synch-. Here in Canada, we don't know what to do... But I tend to like the British spellings because I'm pretentious.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    freestatefreestate Posts: 123member
    Open up iSync and go to preferences - then hit Reset Sync Preferences on the bottom. That should do the trick.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeState View Post

Open up iSync.....

How? I have no iSync preferences in System Preferences and the sync icon in the menu bar has two options, "Sync Now" and "Open .Mac Sync Preferences"
  • Reply 4 of 5
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

How? I have no iSync preferences in System Preferences and the sync icon in the menu bar has two options, "Sync Now" and "Open .Mac Sync Preferences"

iSync is an app in your Applications folder. It looks like a brushed metal disk with rotating arrows on it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Thanks FreeState and SpinDrift. I'll give it a try.