Missing calls/texts

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have had people telling me that they have tried calling me and yet my iPhone doesn't even ring. Luckily I have my blackberry as my business phone so they're able to get a hold of me through that. When I take the phone off of standby, that's when I'll see that I had a missed call or sometimes it won't even show that someone tried calling me.

I've also had trouble with text messaging. I won't ever hear the phone go off or even feel the phone vibrate and then I happen to look at the screen and it shows that I received a text a few minutes ago.

I've heard that there have been outages in Dallas. Could this all be related to the outage? I'm from Abilene, TX which is about three hours away from Dallas so I don't know if the outage is also in Abilene.

Anyone else having these problems?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Same issue here I thought it was some setting I had missed
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Bump. Anyone else still having these problems? Any word on when this should be fixed?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    It's either network outages, or your phone is accessing the EDGE network to check mail. How often do you have your mail set to check? If it's checking it every 15 minutes, then that means people can only call you 13 out of every 15 minutes. You cannot receive calls when the iPhone is accessing the EDGE network.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

It's either network outages, or your phone is accessing the EDGE network to check mail. How often do you have your mail set to check? If it's checking it every 15 minutes, then that means people can only call you 13 out of every 15 minutes. You cannot receive calls when the iPhone is accessing the EDGE network.

Is that true? If so that's the worst thing I've heard about the iPhone so far!

Any crappy 2.5G Nokia using GPRS can handle calls and internet simultaneously. Why on earth can't the iPhone?

Amorya
  • Reply 5 of 14
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    i don't believe you, southerndoc.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Um, I think this is true. I was browsing a page in Safari and called myself from another phone. The phone never rang. On the other phone, it sounded like it rang four times, then went to voice mail.

I tried this three times.....
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saschke View Post

i don't believe you, southerndoc.

Saw it in the manual. Calls go over EDGE also. I do believe that southerndoc is correct.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Saw it in the manual. Calls go over EDGE also. I do believe that southerndoc is correct.

And if I remember correctly, my Nokia did the same thing. So this would be a limitation of the network, not of the iPhone, right?

I don't have access to WiFi right now to test, but I assume this is NOT the case if you're browsing over WiFi and an call comes in.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I don't know...

I just tried calling my iPhone from a lan line while I was using the EDGE network.

It rang 4 times and went straight to voicemail.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I don't know...

I just tried calling my iPhone from a lan line while I was using the EDGE network.

It rang 4 times and went straight to voicemail.

Yeah, I think that's what we're saying here...except saschke ) It seems like the EDGE network cannot "multi-task" between phone calls and data transfers.

Same if you initiate a call from your iPhone and then quickly fire up Safari, you will get an error message: "EDGE data connections are not available while a call is active."
  • Reply 11 of 14
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It seems like the EDGE network cannot "multi-task" between phone calls and data transfers.

Same if you initiate a call from your iPhone and then quickly fire up Safari, you will get an error message: "EDGE data connections are not available while a call is active."

That is true.

I deal with the same phenomenon on my BB Pearl, in that I do not receive emails while on a call.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

That is true.

I deal with the same phenomenon on my BB Pearl, in that I do not receive emails while on a call.

Is this an EDGE issue then? I know that both GPRS and 3G in the UK can handle calls and internet use simultaneously. Even the old-fashioned 2G data phones here would give you an incoming call alert (and prompt you to disconnect from the net if you wanted to take the call, in a similar manner to call waiting).

Amorya
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I don't have access to WiFi right now to test, but I assume this is NOT the case if you're browsing over WiFi and an call comes in.

Confirmed: When browsing on Wifi, calls will come in and while on a call, you can switch to browsing.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    wheeeh.. that's really bad..