So far I have only had one real issue. It's major though.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggWSmith View Post

Well I got my iPhone last night and as a 20 year veteran of the wireless device industry I am impressed. Until tonight. I finally got around to using the headphones to listen to the ipod portion of the device but the headset jack appears to not work. I plug them in and it still plays through the phone's speakers!!! Aargh! It's a four hour round trip to the Apple store.

Geez, where are you? That's pretty far.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Well I got my iPhone last night and as a 20 year veteran of the wireless device industry I am impressed. Until tonight. I finally got around to using the headphones to listen to the ipod portion of the device but the headset jack appears to not work. I plug them in and it still plays through the phone's speakers!!! Aargh! It's a four hour round trip to the Apple store.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I am north of NYC. If you add in the traffic to the closest store in Jersey it's a easy hour and a half each way.

This is the third Apple product with a major flaw. Two MacBooks(I still wince at that one!!) and now a iPhone with no normal iPod functionality. WTF!!!

Is there any quality control or does the same company in China that makes these things also make pet food?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I am north of NYC. If you add in the traffic to the closest store in Jersey it's a easy hour and a half each way.

This is the third Apple product with a major flaw. Two MacBooks(I still wince at that one!!) and now a iPhone with no normal iPod functionality. WTF!!!

Is there any quality control or does the same company in China that makes these things also make pet food?

Oh.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    First of all, why are posts still in the wrong order here? Is AI still a bit messed up?

Quote:

Did you try other headphones to make sure it's the phone?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

First of all, why are posts still in the wrong order here? Is AI still a bit messed up?

Did you try other headphones to make sure it's the phone?

Yep, I did. No go. You can see through the headphone jack into the phone which I don't believe you are supposed to be able to do.\
  • Reply 6 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Gregg, if you're N of NYC, you also have White Plains (Westchester Mall) and Nyack (Palisades Mall) to choose from. Those might be a *LOT* closer. I mean heck, I'm up the Hudson, and it only takes me 25min to get to the Westchester, and 35 to get to Palisades.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Actually, you can see into the iPhone from the headphone jack! My phone works great but you can see the backlight of the screen when looking down into the headphone hole in a dark room.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Take it back and exchange it. Problem solved.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Yep, I did. No go. You can see through the headphone jack into the phone which I don't believe you are supposed to be able to do.\

That is odd. But I am able to use ONLY the original headset that came with the iPhone. My two other iPod headsets and 3rd party headsets all don't seem to be "long" enough to fit down inside the jack.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

That is odd. But I am able to use ONLY the original headset that came with the iPhone. My two other iPod headsets and 3rd party headsets all don't seem to be "long" enough to fit down inside the jack.

that's how they make their money.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Could it have something to do with the earphones being a microphone too?

Apple have done this elsewhere of course with the keyboard extender with the notch in it that prevents using any other keyboard with it.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

I've used various styles of iPod earbuds with my iPhone without fail. My Sennheiser's will need some manhandling or an adapter though...
  • Reply 13 of 17
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:

The speaker jack is very recessed, supposedly for 2 possible reasons: aesthetics, and to accomodate the microphone band in addition to the right/left output channels.

this means that many 3rd party headphones wont be able to sufficiently access the jack to make a successful connection. this is particularly true for ones that end in an L shape. For ones that don't end in an L shape but still do not work, the two solutions are to use an adapter - I think there are 2 currently being sold (I saw a Belkin adapter at an Apple store) - or shave off the excess plastic from the headphone plug so that it may fully seat itself into the jack. Expect to see "made for iPhone" headhpones that work out of the box; some already do.

However, if you are saying that the headphones that came with the iPhone don't work, then the jack is defective.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Oh for heaven sakes. This is your MAJOR problem?

OK look. You can not use iPod headsets with the iPhone. These are a different design. They have all the iPhone compatible headsets available at the Apple store. iPOd ones are different, but I wouldn't doubt that the next iPod used the same ones. Other than the microphone and clicker.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Oh for heaven sakes. This is your MAJOR problem?

OK look. You can not use iPod headsets with the iPhone. These are a different design. They have all the iPhone compatible headsets available at the Apple store. iPOd ones are different, but I wouldn't doubt that the next iPod used the same ones. Other than the microphone and clicker.

Um, I think you have me confused with the original poster. I was just saying it was odd because I seem to have the exact opposite problem that he is having.

But in any case, yes, I think it is a bit of a pain to have to go out and buy new headsets for the iPhone. Changing the headset jack to not be backward compatible with their previous iPods is almost as bad as if they had changed their 30 pin connector so none of the iPod docks work. I personally don't like the original iPod/iPhone headsets because they always fall out of my ears. I prefer the in ear buds, and the couple that I have do not work.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Try carefully shaving the plastic around the jack down until it's small enough to fit into the iPhone. I did this with my headphone jack and it's working great.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Try carefully shaving the plastic around the jack down until it's small enough to fit into the iPhone. I did this with my headphone jack and it's working great.

Yes, I thought I'd try that. It doesn't look like it is the metal jack piece itself, but the plastic bit that doesn't also fit into the hole. Thanks.