Multi-touch goodness

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I've been using/playing with my iPhone for almost a week now and I have to say that I love it. But specifically, the multi-touch is just so cool.

I think it was one of the instructional videos about using the keyboard where the guy ("Bob"?) said how easy it will be to master the virtual keyboard....."if you trust the multi-touch"...or something like that. Well I have to say he was correct. I first thought it was odd to click the space bar to accept the suggested word and to click the suggested word to cancel it. But if you just keep your eyes on the keyboard and concentrate on "typing", it takes care of any mistakes you might make. Sure it will let some mistakes sneak through, but how about that magnifying glass to navigate through your text? Genius way to avoid having 4 additional navigation arrows that we have on keyboards.

Not exactly multi-touch, but I love how the iPhone recognizes names from your contacts. And no more typing apostrophes for "don't", "wont", "can't". Just type the work without it and it's put in for you. And typing an "i", followed by a space automatically capitalizes it.

The other thing I just noticed is in SMS messages. I sent a couple of long ones today and as I was typing the text started to scroll past where I could see. But if you "scroll" with your finger within the editing space, it will actually scroll the text so you can proofread your long SMS message before sending it. Nice.

Anyone else discover any goodies to share?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    After using my iPhone for a while I tried touching my MacBook Pro screen. It didn't work.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Actually, on my MBP, I often visit Nasa Image of the Day. And when I load the full size picture and it takes over the entire screen, I find myself using my mouse to "swipe" over the picture, expecting it to move. Sadly, I then remember that I must use the scroll bars to move the picture around. \
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    How do you find punctuating in general? David Pogue just figured out a short-cut (hold the 123 key and slide to the desired mark).

I live in Japan and am very, very envious of all of you with iPhones. While we have 3G everywhere, I still want an iPhone.

Has the iPhone got bar square reading capability? These things are everywhere in Japan and you just hold your camera over it fora second, push a few keys and presto, the homepage opens on you phone.

For example:

http://weather.livedoor.com/area/46/132.html

Down on the right near the bottom four sections below the pic of the cute meteorologist (most in Japan are young women; makes me really want to stay on top of the weather) there is a black picture that can be scanned with a cell phone. These things are on posters, in the phone book, literally everywhere here.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Has the iPhone got bar square reading capability? These things are everywhere in Japan and you just hold your camera over it fora second, push a few keys and presto, the homepage opens on you phone.

For example:

http://weather.livedoor.com/area/46/132.html

Down on the right near the bottom four sections below the pic of the cute meteorologist (most in Japan are young women; makes me really want to stay on top of the weather) there is a black picture that can be scanned with a cell phone. These things are on posters, in the phone book, literally everywhere here.

Interesting... Delicious Library is an app that allows you to take a pic of a DVD or CD bar code and it automatically adds to your virtual library... the US has far less sophistication on these matters (at this point). Perhaps in 2 or 3 more years it will be more common.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Delicious is nice; they came out with that after I picked up a scanner and apps from Intelliscanner.

It is something like that, but a step further that would be really convenient on a device that also has great internet surfing capability. It really is instant and then you have the homepage. Even TV commercials now sometimes broadcast the images and you just hold you camera up towards the TV and you're on your way (I saw one CM last night and will try to catch it again).

The real boon for something like this is you can see an ad in the subway station and zap it just before rushing to your train. No need to write anything down or try to take a good photo that never seems readable later.

Some companies even have the codes printed on their business cards; no need to type anything anymore just snap and go.