new mac user triple boot questions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
is it possible to run os-x / windows vista / ubuntu on the mac, and triple boot. ie pick which os at start up and have them all run independent of one another?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yes, you can use boot camp to do this, or even gnome from ubuntu. I do not have much(any) experience with boot camp, but I think that all you have to do is hit like alt or escape at startup to choose the OS. Otherwise with gnome, just make sure numlock is on and then use the arrow keys to select. Easy.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    heeroyuyheeroyuy Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Yes, you can use boot camp to do this, or even gnome from ubuntu. I do not have much(any) experience with boot camp, but I think that all you have to do is hit like alt or escape at startup to choose the OS. Otherwise with gnome, just make sure numlock is on and then use the arrow keys to select. Easy.

awesome =), long time windows user making the jump, g/f bought me a macbook pro on the conditions i sell my pc =/ so i went with it.

also does windows run like full speed with boot camp or is it emulated?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    It does run natively on boot camp, though any other program (parallels, crossover) run emulations.

I ran ubuntu for a while on my pc before I got my mac, and I have found that now I never use it anymore. This is because one of the few reasons I ran it was because I hated windows so much and liked the new UI. Also, in windows my dsl connection slowed down to dial-up speeds loading pages (about a minute for apple.com and 30 seconds or so for appleinsider) while on ubuntu the exact same connection on the same machine did those same pages in 10 seconds or less (physical download speeds were the same (65K-ish) on both). But now tiger fixes both of those problems for me on a spiffy new laptop and even if I installed ubuntu I don't think I would ever use it unless it were to play robots. It's probably better that I don't. What specifically will you be using Ubuntu for?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heeroyuy View Post

awesome =), long time windows user making the jump, g/f bought me a macbook pro on the conditions i sell my pc =/ so i went with it.

also does windows run like full speed with boot camp or is it emulated?

I run XP in Parallels in Mac OS, so I am running both OS'es simultaneously, and I can't perceive any difference between XP on the Windows box in my lab and running it in Parallels. Therefore, I'm guessing it runs beautifully in Boot Camp.