iPhone car audio problem

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I decided to plug my iPhone into the same Belkin dock connector car charger/audio adapter that I use with my iPod, just to see what would happen. The iPhone started charging from the adapter, which was nice, but when I tried to play music the audio only played through iPhone's built-in speaker, instead of going through the Belkin adapter and out through my car speakers -- not exactly an ideal way to listen to music in the car.

At the moment, this problem isn't terribly important to me, since I'd rather use my 80GB iPod with all of my music instead of my 8GB iPhone with only a small subset of my music. I'm curious, however, about how many other people have encountered similar problems.

Changing the type of adapter I use would be a royal pain in the ass. My 2005 Subaru didn't have any official auxiliary audio input, and since I found all FM adapters (even direct-wired FM modulators) to be pretty crappy, I ended up finding a way to hack a real auxiliary audio input. As I have everything set up now, all of the wiring is behind the dashboard, with a dock connector poking out into the little cubby hole my Subaru has in the middle of the dashboard between two of the vents.

This wouldn't be a simple matter of pulling one adapter out of my cigarette lighter and plugging another one in. Fortunately, I have no pressing need to deal with this problem. But I do look forward to the day when my 2nd or 3rd gen iPhone holds so much music that I'lld happily use just one "iDevice" for everything instead of two.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tjosaltjosal Posts: 32member
    Tried the iPhone on a Mini-Cooper with the iPod adapter option (BMW) - no dice. Get an error on the iPhone, something along the lines of "Not able to connect to this device". Not my iPhone so no time to play with it...

Bummer