Garageband '07?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello there, I am just wondering if anybody has come across what might be contained in Garageband '07?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    delectricdelectric Posts: 18member
    I want to see better instruments, more features such as tempo control (throughout the song), and advanced MIDI controls. I'm exied!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I agree. I'd like to see better instruments, advanced MIDI recording and editing, the ability to send and receive midi, better timeline editing and tempo changes.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dylanw23dylanw23 Posts: 54member
    In the past, things like tempo change, time signature change and things like that have been confined to the middle- and high-end software packages (e.g. Logic Express). The general idea, I think, is that software like GB is meant to be an "introductory" sort of thing, and if you're doing really complicated sorts of compositions, they want you to move up to Logic or whatever.

Of course, I don't know that there's any reason why it needs to be this way. Not long ago, Steinberg came out with Sequel, and I seem to recall that it had some of these sorts of features (although I could be remembering wrong). Also, Apple hasn't updated Logic in quite a while, so maybe the new features of the next version of GB are in some way linked to a hypothetical new version of Logic.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I would love to see the promise of GarageBand live up to it's name... in the form of virtual collaborators.

Once the user chooses his 'style', or mix of styles they want record, they would choose 1 or more virtual back-up musicians and simply start to create. During the editing process, sections could be finessed with spot fills, breaks or extended with multi-player jams.

Anyone else think this could be a possibility?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I would love to see the promise of GarageBand live up to it's name... in the form of virtual collaborators.

Once the user chooses his 'style', or mix of styles they want record, they would choose 1 or more virtual back-up musicians and simply start to create. During the editing process, sections could be finessed with spot fills, breaks or extended with multi-player jams.

Anyone else think this could be a possibility?

I'm not sure that I fully understand your concept, spam. Can you expand on that?

I do think that GarageBand could be spiced up a bit. Maybe make a GarageBand Pro or something.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dylanw23dylanw23 Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burton167 View Post

I'm not sure that I fully understand your concept, spam. Can you expand on that?

I do think that GarageBand could be spiced up a bit. Maybe make a GarageBand Pro or something.

Apple kind of already has something filling that niche: Logic Express. LE had a maintenance release (7.2.3) last September, but its last major release (to version 7) was way back in Sep. of 2004.

There's quite a price gap between the part-of-$80-iLife GarageBand and the $300 LE7, so there may be room in the market for something in between. I don't know if Apple would see it as worth it to have a 4-tier scheme with respect to that category. It also raises the question of whether they would want to release "pro" versions of other iLife apps. I suspect more people might be interested in an iMovie Pro than in GB Pro. And would they want to do a whole iLife Pro suite, and if they did, would that kind of defeat the original purpose of the iLife suite (braindead-simple but extremely useful beginner-level applications)? They might do better to extend the "Express" versions of their Pro apps further down the market, e.g. charge $150-200 for LE 8.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burton167 View Post

It should be possible to provide within GarageBand a construct that simulates jam sessions with (for lack of a better word) A.I. (no, I'm not talking about AppleInsider!) backup musicians which follow the conventions of music theory and song construction. Beginners with little or no knowledge or seasoned players would be able to provide some basic definitions of what they want to play... example: I want to create an up-tempo pop song (about 3 minutes long), with some jazz elements, and for my backup musicians I want a rhythm guitarist, funk bass player, solo flautist, chamber orchestra, and virtual plug-in Bill Bruford on drums. I will provide the piano track.

With all of these elements in place, GarageBand would count off 'four' and the jam session would begin. Your choice of notes and chords would influence the direction of the session, so no two recordings would ever be the same. It would be the ultimate for music production!

It should also be possible for GarageBand to create the entire track (with no musical input from the user, other than by selecting variables, emotional content, duration, tempo...). I know there's software out there now that does something like this. It creates a temp tracks for filmmakers.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It should be possible to provide within GarageBand a construct that simulates jam sessions with (for lack of a better word) A.I. (no, I'm not talking about AppleInsider!) backup musicians which follow the conventions of music theory and song construction. Beginners with little or no knowledge or seasoned players would be able to provide some basic definitions of what they want to play... example: I want to create an up-tempo pop song (about 3 minutes long), with some jazz elements, and for my backup musicians I want a rhythm guitarist, funk bass player, solo flautist, chamber orchestra, and virtual plug-in Bill Bruford on drums. I will provide the piano track.

With all of these elements in place, GarageBand would count off 'four' and the jam session would begin. Your choice of notes and chords would influence the direction of the session, so no two recordings would ever be the same. It would be the ultimate for music production!

This last bit seems pretty ambitious for a small (and cheap) app like GarageBand, but having some kind of auto-arrangement seems a logical next step. I'd love it if the next version of GB made it so I never had to open Band in a Box again.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Some B-in-a-B functions would be nice! I'd also like to see typography features that permit printing of sheet music.

But I have a feeling we'll see an iphone ringtone maker.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    My personal requests would be

-more user control of track effects (i.e. let us add as many as we want and let us rearrange them with drag and drop like every other music app on the market)

-more user control of latency (no mysteriously upping the latency until a project is unuseable!)

Like much of iLife, Apple needs to stop adding "Gee-Whiz" features when the core functionality and interface are lagging considerably behind a lot of free or cheap software.