Apple seeking social security numbers on Iphone customers?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A ROW IS BREWING across the pond about the amount of data that AT&T and Apple are collecting on the connection forms for the Iphones.

On the application form, Jobs Mob and its new Telco acolyte AT&T are demanding punters hand over their social security numbers.

For reasons only known to itself, and Steve Jobs moves in mysterious ways his miracles to perform, Apple wants punters to hand over numbers it not only has no need for, but which could do a fair bit of damage in the wrong hands.

As News.com points out every tech paper in the US should be screaming about this, but they aren't because they are too busy praising the nice new phones in the hope that Apple will bung them a free one.

AT&T has a poor record when it comes to looking after customer details. Currently it is in the middle of a class action after it let the security services set up shop in its network without a warrant.

An iPhone will not only reveal phone call details but also provide snoops with the social security numbers of the people making the calls. Well it will make their lives easier.

No one will explain why Steve Jobs wants the information. His fans would give him an autobiography if he let them, but why he wants the social security numbers of ordinary people is anyone's guess.

News.com is worried that too many people will hand over the data in the heat of the moment, particularly if they have been queuing for one of the things for more than a few hours.

more here. http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-973...?tag=nefd.blog

hit that link for a screen shot... its apparently true,the above article is from prisonplanet.com

bad apple!!! i dont care if the Iphone came with a feature which gave me a blowjob,on the road this is not cool... AT ALL.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catman4d2 View Post

A ROW IS BREWING across the pond about the amount of data that AT&T and Apple are collecting on the connection forms for the Iphones.

Seems to me that the social is required to run a credit check before AT&T will open a line of service. As far as I know, all cell phone companies require a social security number to run a credit check.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    The SSN is nothing new. It is standard carrier practice when signing up customers for new service. If you have read about the process, you would have learned that Apple is NOT collecting/saving/storing SSNs for its own use. The SSN is simply passed through their interface to AT&T for activation purposes.

Now could Apple be lying and secretly saving your SSN? Of course they could, but how would that benefit them, especially if it came to light they were secretly doing so. It would kill their credibility.

This topic is simply someone building a mountain out of a molehill - and I'm not referring to the original poster here, just people elsewhere that are trying to make a big deal about this.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    In other news, tin-foil supplies are running low, nation-wide.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mowenbrownmowenbrown Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catman4d2 View Post

A ROW IS BREWING across the pond.

The phrasing of that first sentence would indicate to me that perhaps this person isn't familiar with the process on our side of the "pond". T-mobile required my SSN to open an account several years ago. So does every major credit card company, the people who game me my mortgage, and just about anyone that extends a service based on credit. It seems simple enough to me: I wanted a phone, I wanted to be billed and not have to pre-pay, I made a risk-versus-reward judgment and gave them the info they wanted. Don?t want to give out your SSN? Then don?t buy their service.

It?s illegal for the Government to require you to give them your SSN as a personal identifier, which is why you can get an Individual Tax ID number instead, if you so choose. Don?t want to? Well that?s fine because you can not be denied health care or any federal benefit if you refuse to supply your SSN (unless there is an obligation to notify the IRS, but then you can use your tax ID). That won?t help you when it comes to dealing with private business.

This is the difference between blogging and journalism. Is there another option? Who would know? Well, certainly not the guy on CNET that wrote that. So maybe you should go to the AT&T store and ask what other forms of ID are acceptable. Will they take a drivers license, social security card, military ID? I live in a city full of diplomats, and they all get phones without an SSN. So I would hazard a guess the real impact here is that either you have to go to the store to activate your iPhone inperson, or you have to find a way to carry on day in and day out with something else. Oh the humanity!

However I will cede the point that the fact businesses aren?t required to even notify you when personal information is compromised is criminal. But I would blame a lethargic electorate for that.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    SSN#'s? That's nothing! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Anybody heard of a credit check???