Why not books in Pages like in iPhoto?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
iPhoto has a great feature where one can print books with their photos. It's great. These books make the best Christmas gifts for grandparents and relatives.

However, I think Apple should also add this book function to Pages, and possibily Keynote. For example, I would love to create custom books for my children using their names, photos and stories. My own custom Dr. Zeus. I would love to print out a few copies for my kids, relatives, friends, etc.

Another example would be to write books that people could use at work, school, businesses. iPhoto works great for photo albums but what about books with mostly text? Poetry, short stories, etc.

We don't always want to print thousand of copies and need a solution for one offs and short runs. For all the progress in Desktop Publishing, creating books with real professional bindings is still not as easy as it could be. After all, how many people do you know who have created a book?

I'm guessing a Kinkos might do this but why do I need to even leave my house? After doing the iPhoto picture books, I think Apple could expand Pages and maybe Keynote with a similar functionality. Do the page layout in Pages, then press a button and bam! A professionally bound book on my doorstep in a week.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    May I suggest http://www.lulu.com ?

If you do use pages, the way you have to save your book is to go to File -> Print, then click the PDF dropdown, and choose "Save as PDF-X". Don't do File -> Export -> PDF, it won't work.

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I think it's a great idea to have the book making feature in Pages and Keynote. I know of several different situations where I'd want to use that particular feature. Having a bound volume is great when you want something to last. If you're only interested in being a self-published author, why not write the book in Pages and send it off to have a couple printed?

I'd use this feature if Apple provided it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    brian greenbrian green Posts: 662member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

May I suggest http://www.lulu.com ?

If you do use pages, the way you have to save your book is to go to File -> Print, then click the PDF dropdown, and choose "Save as PDF-X". Don't do File -> Export -> PDF, it won't work.

Amorya

After going through the lulu website I have to say that it's very well put together. I'd love to have Apple and LULU get together and make the process seamless. I do appreciate you pointing out LULU though, I'll certainly use it until Apple does something.

Any idea why PDF-X files are needed instead of PDF? It's easy to do a PDF-X, I'm simply curious.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by visionary View Post

My own custom Dr. Zeus. I would love to print out a few copies for my kids, relatives, friends, etc.

Who is Dr. Zeus? Do you mean Dr. Seuss?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    visionaryvisionary Posts: 118member
    You're right. I meant Dr. Suess. You'd think as a father of 10 kids I'd get this right!

I also looked over the Lulu site and there is much to like. However, I don't know about the legal contract stuff. I don't want to get entangled with who the publisher is for example, and have to read through all the legal stuff to make sure I wasn't signing my work away. Not that Lulu's documentation is bad; it is just I should only have to go through all that legal work if I want to partner with them for distribution and marketing. There is a lot to read. With Apple photo books it is much easier and straight forward.

I do like lulu's book covers though and think Apple needs something like this for their books. Apple's covers suck.

I'll be keeping lulu in mind in the future. They may be the best bet until Apple can add this feature. Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

Any idea why PDF-X files are needed instead of PDF? It's easy to do a PDF-X, I'm simply curious.

Lulu's printer has an issue with Pages generated PDFs. For ages they banned Pages all together, then someone discovered that PDF-X works fine.

Amorya
  • Reply 7 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by visionary View Post

iPhoto has a great feature where one can print books with their photos. It's great. These books make the best Christmas gifts for grandparents and relatives.

However, I think Apple should also add this book function to Pages, and possibily Keynote. For example, I would love to create custom books for my children using their names, photos and stories. My own custom Dr. Zeus. I would love to print out a few copies for my kids, relatives, friends, etc.

Another example would be to write books that people could use at work, school, businesses. iPhoto works great for photo albums but what about books with mostly text? Poetry, short stories, etc.

We don't always want to print thousand of copies and need a solution for one offs and short runs. For all the progress in Desktop Publishing, creating books with real professional bindings is still not as easy as it could be. After all, how many people do you know who have created a book?

I'm guessing a Kinkos might do this but why do I need to even leave my house? After doing the iPhoto picture books, I think Apple could expand Pages and maybe Keynote with a similar functionality. Do the page layout in Pages, then press a button and bam! A professionally bound book on my doorstep in a week.

What do you all think?

Two thumbs up. Way up!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Got to thinking about it and it would be pretty easy to make some killer scrapbooks with this. Especially if you could scan things in.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    visionaryvisionary Posts: 118member
    Apple's iPhoto books are pretty good but I sure would like more flexibility. Aperture does a better job but again I also want something more text focused, thus the Pages option. I too think it would be great scrapbooks.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    i must admit, when i saw the title of this thread i thought "thats insane" but now i think about it, that would be SO SO handy. My company often produces booklets/brochures which we don't need 10000000000 of, so being able to professionally print just a few from WITHIN pages would be fantastic.

I hope you're listening, Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Also check out Blurb. I haven't made any books through them, but I've seen the books and they are high quality.