I'm so confused about this damn iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
How do I pick a different ringtone besides the ones that come with it! Why aren't their any cell phone games? And, how do I add music to the iPhone library without having to sync it to a playlist?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    reeve76reeve76 Posts: 37member
    You cant add a ringtone or games. Plug your iphone into your computer and wait for it to pop up in itunes, click the iphone icon in iitunes and click the music tab once you have it open, form their you can select your prefernces on what you want to sync.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reeve76 View Post

You cant add a ringtone or games.

So, I'm stuck using the default ringtones forever...?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    reeve76reeve76 Posts: 37member
    unfortunatley
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justinx89x View Post

"forever" might be a bit strong... but for the next several months at least is probably a safe bet.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

the default ringtones are the available ringtones until apple updates the iPhone to accept other alternatives. Don't forget apple is the 3rd largest music retailer in the us. Everything they do pertaining to music is under contractual obligation. Chances are that they have to make a deal with every label for them to enable the iPhone use digital music perchased from apple as a ringtone. Regular mobile companies are not bound by contractual restriction.

Chances are it wont be long though.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I think Apple is doing a great service to the rest of us that don't want to listen to dumb ass ring tone.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

I think Apple is doing a great service to the rest of us that don't want to listen to dumb ass ring tone.

I agree.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

How do I digg people up here....

• Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

+2 for you sir
  • Reply 10 of 28
    daffy_duckdaffy_duck Posts: 248member
    Quote:

+++

and another +
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

How do I digg people up here....

With a shovel like the rest of us.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

+1!

At least there are some ringtones on the phone that sound like, well, y'know, a phone.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hey, looks like there's more than a few of us "I don't want to listen to 8 bars of midi Play That Funky Music Whiteboy while you fumble for your phone, dumbass" folks.

Maybe Apple will sell enough iPhones to make loud, cheesy ringtones start to seem socially gauche, and dumb-asses will give it up.

In which case, Nobel Prize for Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Using music from your library for a ringtone would be a bad idea anyway? Esp on the iphone. Imagine listening to you music when your library skips to another track. Is it a call or have I accidentally skipped to the next track somehow?

I think apple will add a ringtone store to itms in the near future..? plus the ability to use your own songs and tones (a possible feature of the new version of garageband?)

There are button images in the resource file of itunes that mention ringtones so I think it's a safe bet we've not heard the last on this matter from Apple..
  • Reply 15 of 28
    david_ocdavid_oc Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tadunne View Post

Using music from your library for a ringtone would be a bad idea anyway? Esp on the iphone. Imagine listening to you music when your library skips to another track. Is it a call or have I accidentally skipped to the next track somehow?

I think apple will add a ringtone store to itms in the near future..? plus the ability to use your own songs and tones (a possible feature of the new version of garageband?)

There are button images in the resource file of itunes that mention ringtones so I think it's a safe bet we've not heard the last on this matter from Apple..

I think it's possible that Apple will add and "Export to Ringtone" option in Garageband
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by david_oc View Post

I think it's possible that Apple will add and "Export to Ringtone" option in Garageband

I'm doubting it, but you would still need to be able to add your own ring-tones for that to work regardless.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tadunne View Post

I think it would be simple to make the phone ring while you have music playing and if its sitting idle in your pocket a song could start playing when someone tries to contact you.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:

How do I pick a different ringtone besides the ones that come with it! Why aren't their any cell phone games? And, how do I add music to the iPhone library without having to sync it to a playlist?

Amen, brother. You should just return that no good iPhone to the store and demand a full refund, and pick up that Blackberry instead. You shouldn't be forced to put up with a product that was so poorly thought out and displeases you so much. Better yet, go take your meds, enjoy the most revolutionary product to come out in a long time, and quit stinking up these boards.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hey, looks like there's more than a few of us "I don't want to listen to 8 bars of midi Play That Funky Music Whiteboy while you fumble for your phone, dumbass" folks.

Maybe Apple will sell enough iPhones to make loud, cheesy ringtones start to seem socially gauche, and dumb-asses will give it up.

In which case, Nobel Prize for Steve Jobs.

Don't hold your breath, the dumb-asses never give up.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Don't hold your breath, the dumb-asses never give up.

Ring tones are a huge business. I also hate listening to them but with a phone as cool as this I fully expect this feature will come. After all Apple is not shy about using musicians to sell iPods, this is only the same kind of thing. The iPhone boasts of its multi-media and rightly so.

To those who put down someone for wanting a feature like this, sounds weird when the iPhone is meant to be fun, cutting edge, hip and oh yes useful.

Apple hopes to convert iPhone users who now interface with XP to buying a Macbook or some such. Why? Because on OSX we have cool apps that can make ring tone loops a snap. All part of being cool and the modern world. I know several musicians that make their rent selling ring tones. They are all Mac fanatics .... but multi-media is really not what "Hi I'm a Mac" is all about?

It's not surprising this feature is not included as all sorts of virus and spy-ware can come in this way but it will come. You guys surely are not going to be freaking out about the good old days when an iPhone was a tool are you?