mac mail

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
For some unknown reason when I tried to send mail today from mac mail I got the following message 'The SMTP server ?smtp.mac.com? rejected the password for user ?faruge67?. When I entered the password - which I'm assuming is the same as my dot mac account it keeps getting rejected. I tried other passwords in case I got this wrong but still got the same message. I tried to get the password shown in my keychain but keychain access asked me for a password. When I entered this it told me in was incorrect.

I sent myself an email from my dotmac account and I received it in mac mail but but I cant send emails from mac mail without having the above problem.

Any ideas?

Darryn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faruge View Post

For some unknown reason when I tried to send mail today from mac mail I got the following message 'The SMTP server “smtp.mac.com” rejected the password for user “faruge67”. When I entered the password - which I'm assuming is the same as my dot mac account it keeps getting rejected. I tried other passwords in case I got this wrong but still got the same message. I tried to get the password shown in my keychain but keychain access asked me for a password. When I entered this it told me in was incorrect.

I sent myself an email from my dotmac account and I received it in mac mail but but I cant send emails from mac mail without having the above problem.

Any ideas?

Darryn

Who is your ISP? That smtp.mac.com looks odd to me. Go to Mail>>Preferences>>Accounts and see if that is the same as

"Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):
  • Reply 2 of 4
    farugefaruge Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Who is your ISP? That smtp.mac.com looks odd to me. Go to Mail>>Preferences>>Accounts and see if that is the same as

"Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):

Basically i have 2 email accounts and one of those is a dot mac account which I need to use to send email from mac mail. The outgoing mail server is smtp.mac.com:faruge67
  • Reply 3 of 4
    It is an annoying problem that happens with my cable modem ISP. The only fix is to quit Mail and relaunch. It (almost) always cures it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faruge View Post

Basically i have 2 email accounts and one of those is a dot mac account which I need to use to send email from mac mail. The outgoing mail server is smtp.mac.com:faruge67

Yes they're the same. I use a cable modem and was unaware that .mac was an ISP. Sorry.