Is there a way to do this with spotlight?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When I toggle spotlight and start a search, I would like to be able to simply hit <enter> and have the 'top hit' open. I've been unable to find a way to change the default selection from 'view all'.

I don't mean to knit-pick, but this would save me from having to run a separate application (Namely).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JSev View Post

When I toggle spotlight and start a search, I would like to be able to simply hit <enter> and have the 'top hit' open. I've been unable to find a way to change the default selection from 'view all'.

I don't mean to knit-pick, but this would save me from having to run a separate application (Namely).

I don't know how to make this the default, but you can open the top hit by pressing cmd+enter. I've been using spotlight as an application launcher for months now and I've gotten pretty good at it.

edit: Also, you pick nits, not knits
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JSev View Post

Leopard will solve this problem. If an application is a top hit for a search, it will be the default selection and it can be launched by pressing enter.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jsevjsev Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elron View Post

I don't know how to make this the default, but you can open the top hit by pressing cmd+enter. I've been using spotlight as an application launcher for months now and I've gotten pretty good at it.

edit: Also, you pick nits, not knits

Thanks! I knew there had to be some kind of key combo like that, but I had trouble searching for the solution to a problem I could barely describe in a coherent search string.

...and I knit-pick until I have my morning coffee at which point i commence nit picking.