MacBook Pro EFI Firmware 1.3, Firmware Restoration CD updates

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday evening released an EFI Firmware update for the latest iteration of its MacBook Pro notebooks and also issued a new version of its Firmware Restoration CD for use with all Intel-based Macs.

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.3

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.3 [1.8MB] fixes a display issue on 2.2/2.4GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro models, which were released last month.

Apple said the update requires MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0, but otherwise provided no further information on the release.

Firmware Restoration CD 1.3

Firmware Restoration CD 1.3 [22.5MB] can be used to restore the firmware of an Intel-based Macintosh computer. However, Apple says the CD can only be used to restore the firmware after an interrupted or failed update.

"If your computer is already in this state, you?ll need to download the software and create the CD on another Macintosh computer, or you can take your computer to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to restore your firmware," the company advises. "This CD can be created on both PowerPC- and Intel-based Macintosh computers."

Firmware Restoration CD 1.3 cannot be used to return an Intel-based Macintosh computer?s firmware to a previous version if a successful update has already been performed.

Those users who feel they may need to run the Firmware Restoration software can find detailed instructions on how to create and run a Restoration CD from Apple's support site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmmm... when I downloaded it, it said it was 2.2 MBs, not 1.8. Eh, doesn't matter.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Hmm...I thought new revisions of old products were supposed to have less problems.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    What does this update do? I did it and I don't notice anything different about anything.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkExpensive View Post

Hmm...I thought new revisions of old products were supposed to have less problems.

yes, there's quite a bit of chat around at the moment about high temps, dodgy screens and a few other things...not quite sure apple did from the previous rev. to this (aside the obvious) that's causing all the problems...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    This update process didn't go quite right on my new MBP 2.2. I'm assuming there's a bug in the update process - though the mac is still running fine.

When the computer went to restart, it shutdown instead. THen I turned it back on. Once fully rebooted, in then told me to run the EFI update (again). Which I did, then restarted, and it turned off, so I turned it back on.... and repeated.

The software update still showed I need to install the firmware update. I've removed from software update, and deleted the update from the utilities folder so it doesn't happen every time I restart.

The same happened on my mother's revision1 MBP
  • Reply 6 of 6
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

This update process didn't go quite right on my new MBP 2.2. I'm assuming there's a bug in the update process - though the mac is still running fine.

When the computer went to restart, it shutdown instead. THen I turned it back on. Once fully rebooted, in then told me to run the EFI update (again). Which I did, then restarted, and it turned off, so I turned it back on.... and repeated.

The software update still showed I need to install the firmware update. I've removed from software update, and deleted the update from the utilities folder so it doesn't happen every time I restart.

The same happened on my mother's revision1 MBP

The instructions say that after it shuts down, when you boot it back up you have to HOLD IN the power button until the sleep light starts blinking. Then it will update.