open source

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
has anybody givin VirtualBox a try instead of parrallells?

it is free and open source should I give it a go?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macuserseth View Post

I haven't used it on OSX, but in Windows it's great. I prefer it over Microsoft Virtual PC.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abandonedhero View Post

I haven't used it on OSX, but in Windows it's great. I prefer it over Microsoft Virtual PC.

That's like saying you like chocolate more than being clamped to the rack and stretched by a psychopath.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macuserseth View Post

I got an error about not being able to load some kernel extension when I tried installing an OS so I couldn't really test it out. Parallels works well though and has 3D support now so I would go with that. You can check out VMWare too.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

That's like saying you like chocolate more than being clamped to the rack and stretched by a psychopath.

Funny. Seriously though, my MBP hasn't arrived yet, so I just thought I'd give some perspective to a thread seemingly ignored. Adding to my previous post, Virtual PC from Microsoft sucks. VMWare or VirtualBox on XP are great. As far as on a Mac, I've run Parallels on my girlfriend's Mac and it worked great.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    I'm a fan of VMware because its damn near universal. OS X/Win/Linux. Students can send me virtual machines with their MINIX Franken OSes for project turn-ins and I can run & grade them on whichever machine I happen to be running on, and they can run whichever OS they want as the host. Something I couldn't do with Parallels.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    That was freaking hallaious....FREEWARE RULES!!!

Build by people for people, it is the ultimate form of democracy. That being said, VirtualBox rocks the party that rocks the party.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feartec View Post

That was freaking hallaious....FREEWARE RULES!!!

Build by people for people, it is the ultimate form of democracy. That being said, VirtualBox rocks the party that rocks the party.

What in God's name are you blathering about?