Next-gen Xeon specs leaked; iPhone sighting at T-Mobile Germany

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The successor to the chips used in Apple's professional Mac line has been leaked through an Intel company note. Meanwhile, T-Mobile may have inadvertently revealed its selection as a European iPhone carrier through its website.

Intel leaks Xeon 5400

Claiming to have received an Intel company-only note, DailyTech says it has confirmed nearly all of the CPUs that will be available in the second half of the year using Intel's upcoming Penryn platform.

The Santa Clara, Calif.-based chip designer is said to be prepping at least five quad-core models in its upcoming flagship line, which will be known officially as the Xeon 5400 series and is codenamed "Harpertown" in the company roadmap. With the exception of an unidentified low-end model, Intel has detailed most models and expects to launch 2.33GHz, 2.5GHz, 2.83GHz, and 3.16GHz processors made with the smaller, cooler-running 45-nanometer process, outshadowing the 3GHz mark set in April.

Each processor is already known to provide a minor boost to performance compared to a present-day Xeon 5300 at the same clock speed, as the total amount of secondary cache on each chip jumps from 8MB to 12MB.

Apple in the past has refrained from outlining its future processor choices but has repeatedly used the latest Xeon processors in its Mac Pro and Xserve lines since the switch from PowerPC to Intel architectures in 2006. In its most recent update, Apple requested and received a special 3GHz Xeon three months ahead of when Intel was officially slated to release the processor to PC builders.

A dual-core equivalent to "Harpertown," known as "Wolfdale," is likewise on schedule for a release in the last months of 2007, but will ship only in 3.16GHz and 3.33GHz variants. An Intel engineer said to be familiar with the matter claims the shift to quad-core is simply a logical move for the Xeon's pro business.

"In the server space, there isn't much need for dual-core when we can go quad... If your [programs] are threaded, there's no reason to use two cores when four are available," the engineer said.

iPhone entry spotted on T-Mobile site

It only appeared briefly, but a category for the iPhone purportedly surfaced at T-Mobile Germany's online phone store, according to the newspaper Focus.

T-Mobile.de (screenshot by Focus)

Visitors to t-mobile.de/iphone or those who successfully searched for an entry during a short interval were able to find a brief mention of the Apple device along with the mention of an "indexation test." This suggested that the listing was an internal database listing which accidentally went live until a site developer caught the error, Focus wrote.

T-Mobile has previously denied any deals with Apple to carry the phone in Germany, but is known to have a buried icon for its service within iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    Is there any big surprise here. T-Mobile is better know to Germans as Deutche Telecom, or the Ma Bell of Germany. An obvious choice. It would be a fine choice for German, and perhaps more...

It's amazing how long this rumor is taking to play itself out...
  • Reply 2 of 137
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Harpertown MacPros by MacWorld 2008 is a sure bet.

The question is: Which processor will go in the next gen iMac? Can we expect to see an Apple "special" 2.4GHz Wolfdale? Or will Apple stick with the notebook line of processors?
  • Reply 3 of 137
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A dual-core equivalent to "Harpertown," known as "Wolfdale," is likewise on schedule for a release in the last months of 2007, but will ship only in 3.16GHz and 3.33GHz variants.

This would be perfect for the consumer desktop Macs. Come on Apple, give us a comsumer tower already...
  • Reply 4 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

This would be perfect for the consumer desktop Macs. Come on Apple, give us a comsumer tower already...

Dual core 3.16/3.33 for a CONSUMER mac!!!!?!?!???!??!!!!! Wow that would be impressive/insane. I highly doubt it would happen though.
  • Reply 5 of 137
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

No it wouldn't. It's a Xeon so it'd be expensive FB-DIMMs still.
  • Reply 6 of 137
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Claiming to have received an Intel company-only note, DailyTech says it has confirmed nearly all of the CPUs that will be available in the second half of the year using Intel's upcoming Penryn platform.

Is it just more or does this sentence not make sense? Seems to be missing a verb...
  • Reply 7 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Is it just more or does this sentence not make sense? Seems to be missing a verb...

I think this would help it:

"Claiming to have received an Intel company-only note, DailyTech says it has confirmed that nearly all of the CPUs that will be available in the second half of the year will be using Intel's upcoming Penryn platform."

But the important thing is that we knew what they meant.
  • Reply 8 of 137
    pepp5pepp5 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

"Claiming to have received an Intel company-only note, DailyTech says it has confirmed that nearly all of the CPUs that will be available in the second half of the year will be using Intel's upcoming Penryn platform."

Well, I read it as a confirmed list as originally written, see the list of 'known' clock speeds in the next paragraph. This (non-essential) addition to the text makes it read how I read it:

"Claiming to have received an Intel company-only note, DailyTech says it has confirmed (the list of) nearly all of the CPUs that will be available in the second half of the year using Intel's upcoming Penryn platform."
  • Reply 9 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

The question is: Which processor will go in the next gen iMac? Can we expect to see an Apple "special" 2.4GHz Wolfdale? Or will Apple stick with the notebook line of processors?

The just released core 2 Extreme X7800, clocked at 2.6 GHz, is what we might hope for in the new "top of the line" iMac.

Rumors are the new iMac is to be slightly thinner so "mobile" processors will probably remain. Not to mention cost points.
  • Reply 10 of 137
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Is it just more?

I don't follow ya here?
  • Reply 11 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Is it just more?

I don't follow ya here?

I think he meant "Is it just me..." but that doesn't explain how he could have typed an 'O' (the 're' is understandable) unless he isn't using a QWERTY keyboard.
  • Reply 12 of 137
    Quote:

not with FB-dimms / reg memory
  • Reply 13 of 137
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

I think he meant "Is it just me..." but that doesn't explain how he could have typed an 'O' (the 're' is understandable) unless he isn't using a QWERTY keyboard.

I know, I was just funning with him.

FYI, I think the sentence is fine.
  • Reply 14 of 137
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Now we know what to expect for Mac Pro processors at MWSF, but what else is Apple going to do to that machine to bring it out of the :"so two years ago" stage it's been in?
  • Reply 15 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Apple is primarily concerned with heat and power in its consumer desktops. I don't see what is mostly used for servers and high end desktops turning up in Apple's models, other than the Mac Pro anytime soon.
  • Reply 16 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

The just released core 2 Extreme X7800, clocked at 2.6 GHz, is what we might hope for in the new "top of the line" iMac.

Rumors are the new iMac is to be slightly thinner so "mobile" processors will probably remain. Not to mention cost points.

Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 17 of 137
    Quote:

That meaning seems significantly different to the original... but I don't follow Intel enough to know. By reading the article I assume that we're talking about their Xeon platform, not their desktop platform.

ie: perhaps there are 2 (or 3) platforms.

"we have a prediction of CPUs for the Penryn platform, and a prediction of CPUs for the other (desktop) platform. We've confirmed nearly all the CPUs which use the Penryn platform.
  • Reply 18 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

That meaning seems significantly different to the original... but I don't follow Intel enough to know. By reading the article I assume that we're talking about their Xeon platform, not their desktop platform.

ie: perhaps there are 2 (or 3) platforms.

"we have a prediction of CPUs for the Penryn platform, and a prediction of CPUs for the other (desktop) platform. We've confirmed nearly all the CPUs which use the Penryn platform.

Oh, I guess you're right. I think they could have worded it better somehow though. Somewhat confusing as evident by the numerous posts on that sentence.
  • Reply 19 of 137
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

they could have worded it better

No disagreement there! Absolutely.
  • Reply 20 of 137
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    New iMac 20" and 24" should be 2.2ghz and 2.4ghz respectively, with 2GB RAM each. Same as MacBookPros. Not likely to have LED Backlight screens, though I don't know... Anyways all this my instinct for now.