PS/2 to usb cable on mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a Imac g3 and a intel mac mini an I cannot get me ps/2 to usb cable to work with any of my ps/2 keyboards or mouses. Is there some kind of driver I need to install?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macuserseth View Post

I have a Imac g3 and a intel mac mini an I cannot get me ps/2 to usb cable to work with any of my ps/2 keyboards or mouses. Is there some kind of driver I need to install?

You might not be using compatible devices. It can't be a plain old PS/2 device. Some mice and keyboards included a PS/2 to USB plug, but it is only wiring because the mouse has smarts inside it to know what type of signalling is used and switch over automatically. But if it doesn't know what USB is, then you are out of luck.

You might be able to find a small converter box that converts the signalling, but then you are out $10-$20, at least in the US.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    In my experience, PS/2-to-USB solutions are more expensive and more of a hassle than just getting new USB hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I feel the same way I just bought a new wireless usb mouse and a cheap dell usb keyboard and I am set. If you are a mac user DONT BUY PS/2 to USB converter it does not work for the majority of the ps/2 devices out there on the market.