iPhone - STOLEN!!!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hightech begging...

Nice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Um, my iPhone got stolen too. I'll take a buck from each of you, kthxbye.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Where's your locking machine now?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Spam if I ever saw it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mergedown View Post

If this is considered SPAM, then I request that it be removed.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who has been through this. Are any of you interested in losing $600? I doubt it. It's a tough thing to swallow. I am only trying to help the guy.

If you do not want to donate, don't. If you don't believe the story, understood. But this is not SPAM.

I know I may just be a cat, but I know spam when i see it.

These are only a few reasons why it's spam:

1) It is a clever spammy-like thing to do

2) the website is too beautiful. It is unlikely that someone who lost an iPhone would also be able to create such a beautiful site or have their friend create such a beautiful site. More likely, someone with preexisting skills put them to use for this hoax.

3) This is posted here by someone as their first post. First posts by anyone should never be believed.

4) the iPhone is too rich a target for spammers not to exploit - this, a case in point.

5) your username is an anagram for "I am a spammer."
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I agree that odds are it is spam, but the ONE thing that makes me believe otherwise is most spammers just post their material once (or 8 times in different threads), get banned, and are gone forever (until they get a new user account and do it again), but he posted a second time, and it was logical and not just a list of products, prices, and bad grammar. I personally think you'd be pretty insane to 'donate' money to a source such as this, but people have made dumber decisions before... like pretending to be a cat...

Also, on an unrellated note, I have resently inheritted $20 milion dolars from an nigerian princ and if you send me just $1K to unlok it, I will give you $10 millon. email me at [email protected]
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mergedown View Post

If this is considered SPAM, then I request that it be removed.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who has been through this. Are any of you interested in losing $600? I doubt it. It's a tough thing to swallow. I am only trying to help the guy.

If you do not want to donate, don't. If you don't believe the story, understood. But this is not SPAM.

it's spam either way. why should anyone donate to this guy? even if it's true, it's lame. i've had thing actually stolen before and i don't think it's ever crossed my mind to create a website whining about my own mistakes and then begging people for money. he lost something, tough shit. happens all the time to people with stuff that costs more than an iphone. suck it up and don't lose it next time. that's it. end of story.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I don't think the police would say that it was found therefore they're doing nothing if it was indeed stolen.

You could have looked into a tracking service too if you hadn't disabled your account:

http://www.followus.co.uk/mobilephonelocationandyou.htm

Also, surely you have the receipt with the serial number of the phone (post photos). When an account is activated on itunes, my guess is that the serial number goes along with it so surely Apple could trace who is the owner.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Personally what I would do is do an ebay search for iPhones for sale in your area. if you get a lot of hits, look at each of them for anything suspicious like only iPhone, no accessories like earbuds, dock, cables, power brick, original box, etc. Then contact the guy saying you are interested and if you can get some high quality shots of the phone for scratches or some BS excuse like that. I think the serial number is on he back, maybe you can nab it. I know of people who found their stolen laptops on ebay by requesting that they get a screenshot of the System Profiler window when asked to verify some obscure thing like motherboard revision.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    ***POOF****

Spammer gone.