Is Google Inviting Apple To Start Apple Wireless?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google appears to be in a position to offer wireless that would benefit both Apple and Google (not to mention all non-at&t customers) in a huge, huge way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/21/te...in&oref=slogin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I hope you're on to something there Spam.

I'm all for choice. Here's hoping that Google can help consumers get some choice in their wireless carrier.

If this does happen, I'm gonna have to dump the ATT stock.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Google appears to be in a position to offer wireless that would benefit both Apple and Google (not to mention all non-at&t customers) in a huge, huge way.

... but not consumers:

"Google believes that the cost of voice calls and data connections to the Internet may be partly subsidized by advertisements brought to users by Google?s powerful online advertising machine."

We have too many ads as it is, we don't need them on our phones too especially since you pay so much for them already.

Also, we already have this sort of thing in the UK. You can buy a phone and pick what provider you go with. You don't get every provider with every phone but you get a good choice.

Apple are the ones messing this up because it looks like they want exclusive deals with certain carriers. I don't really know what benefit this has at all so if Google should be talking to anyone, it's Apple and companies like them about why they are doing this.

It sounds to me like if Google force the issue, it could create a rift between them and companies like Apple who are going after exclusive deals.

Also views like this are a little naive:

"Instead of the wireless carrier choosing what software goes on their phones, users would be free to put any software they want on it."

We all want this but due to the nature of each phone platform, it just isn't possible to put any software they want on it. Apple have stressed that this is to ensure the stability and security of the device. Also, you just can't put the same software on a touch phone as you can on a button phone.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

"Instead of the wireless carrier choosing what software goes on their phones, users would be free to put any software they want on it."

We all want this but due to the nature of each phone platform, it just isn't possible to put any software they want on it. Apple have stressed that this is to ensure the stability and security of the device. Also, you just can't put the same software on a touch phone as you can on a button phone.

I think it means you can run any software that your phone supports, much like you can use any software on your Mac that you want, as long as there is a version of that software for your machine.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

... but not consumers:

"Google believes that the cost of voice calls and data connections to the Internet may be partly subsidized by advertisements brought to users by Google?s powerful online advertising machine."

We have too many ads as it is, we don't need them on our phones too especially since you pay so much for them already.

We have unsolicited ads now, why NOT have them subsidized for users? I'd love to pay $10/month less if I had to see an extra ad now and then, and one can imagine how many people would go for FREE cell service for well-placed and effective ads?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/21/te...in&oref=slogin

Don't be surprised if apple starts their own wireless company or division and not need google telling them what to do or how to do it . Apple wouldn't be the first company to rent space on the towers or perhaps start their own wifi business. Apple no longer is a ship that leaks from the top. Steve doesn't leak plans anymore. Too costly and everyone is listening now. Even us,,.. lol
  • Reply 6 of 15
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    The real point here is to understand what the bidding for the 700 Mhz spectrum entails. All of this other stuff is a not that relevant. This auction has the potential to change the state of wireless communications for the better in the US . Also, IMO, the future of WiMax , i.e. wireless vs wired broadband access, is at stake. Here's a good teaching article on the real nitty gritty of the impending auction and why the bidding rules to be set by the FCC are crucial. After reading this, you'll understand why Verizon and AT&T are struggling mightily to set the rules so that they can maintain their anti-consumer monopolistic practices.

http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsid...ectrum_au.html
  • Reply 7 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

Don't be surprised if apple starts their own wireless company or division and not need google telling them what to do or how to do it . Apple wouldn't be the first company to rent space on the towers or perhaps start their own wifi business. Apple no longer is a ship that leaks from the top. Steve doesn't leak plans anymore. Too costly and everyone is listening now. Even us,,.. lol

Apple's MO, IMO , is to partner with the "best" of breed, analyze them and then compete with them. Apple did it with Motorola (arguably not the best of breed) and they'll do it to at&t.

Apple Wireless FTW!!!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

The real point here is to understand what the bidding for the 700 Mhz spectrum entails. All of this other stuff is a not that relevant. This auction has the potential to change the state of wireless communications for the better in the US . Also, IMO, the future of WiMax , i.e. wireless vs wired broadband access, is at stake. Here's a good teaching article on the real nitty gritty of the impending auction and why the bidding rules to be set by the FCC are crucial. After reading this, you'll understand why Verizon and AT&T are struggling mightily to set the rules so that they can maintain their anti-consumer monopolistic practices.

http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsid...ectrum_au.html

Great link lfe2211. Very interesting reading.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I was wondering, why doesn't Apple bid for some of this spectrum? Are they prohibited in their agreement with ATT as a part of the iPhone deal? It seems to me that if it makes sense for Google to go after this spectrum, it makes more sense for Apple. After all they've got an actual product to put to use and we all know how Apple likes complete control of the user experience.

Oops, noticed that Spam had same idea but sooner. My bad.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I was wondering, why doesn't Apple bid for some of this spectrum? Are they prohibited in their agreement with ATT as a part of the iPhone deal? It seems to me that if it makes sense for Google to go after this spectrum, it makes more sense for Apple. After all they've got an actual product to put to use and we all know how Apple likes complete control of the user experience.

Oops, noticed that Spam had same idea but sooner. My bad.

I think their may be a consortium of companies (some of whom would be strange bedfellows) that will bid for some of the 700 MHz spectrum to stop the oligarchs Verizon and AT&T from complete domination of the wireless world. Again, this would be great for the consumer but formation of such a consortium won't be easy. Google has the clout to go it alone but a group would be better. It's really sickening every time I hear Verizon crying about how unfair it would be to them if the FCC allowed others to bid for parts of the very valuable 700 Mhz spectrum--translation: you would be threatening our wireless monopoly and furthering the real establishment of WiMax, you dirty rats,how dare you do this, it's un-american! AT&T is caught between a rock amd a hard place--they want to maintain their near duopoly in wireless with VZ but don't want to have Google , Apple and others as enemies.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Apple is not prohibited in their agreement with ATT, just no need to fight their partner on this one (ATT is fighting Google). Google's proposal would allow Apple to lease spectrum wholesale down the road, and Google doesn't need Apple's money.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    I can hear it now....

Instead of a ring, you will here "she married him!" "she married him!""she married him!"

Alternatively, if there is a busy signal, you will here "sorry your party is not there, while you are waiting for them, why not go to classmates.com"
  • Reply 13 of 15
    decemberdecember Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Apple is not prohibited in their agreement with ATT, just no need to fight their partner on this one (ATT is fighting Google). Google's proposal would allow Apple to lease spectrum wholesale down the road, and Google doesn't need Apple's money.

Exactly. Apple could have their own wireless service, with spectrum leased from Google. The auction is for big chunks of the whole; and Google wants one of those so that, in addition to using it themselves, they can lease parts of it to smaller companies (such as Apple ) to build/maintain their own network.

That way, Google could become an ISP, and Apple a wireless service provider to cater to their iPhone (and 'Books). Apple could even have a deal with Google to not only use their frequencies, but also their infrastructure/wireless hardware.

I think this is what Mr. Sandwich meant, and i agree that it'd be huge. Let's hope; even if I myself wouldn't benefit from that anytime soon (see my location - WiMax doesn't reach that far, does it?).
  • Reply 14 of 15
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

How exactly do we know what is in their agreement?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I think the Feds should just keep the spectrum and provide free wireless access to every town and city in the US. Probably cost 50 billion or less. They throw away that much every couple months on the stupid Iraq war. So far about $500 billion.