price reduction

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi all, i just joined to ask this:

based on apple's trends / other info you may know, when do you think the latest macbooks will have a price cut, and how much do you think it'll be?

i just wonder if they'll cut the price in september, after already having gotten the new students to buy em up..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Nobody ever really knows. Even if you were to ask Apple store employees, they almost never know. It's just something you have to wait out and/or take a risk.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2007bpm View Post

based on apple's trends / other info you may know, when do you think the latest macbooks will have a price cut, and how much do you think it'll be?

i just wonder if they'll cut the price in september, after already having gotten the new students to buy em up..

Apple very seldom cuts the prices of current models. And when it has happened it has been because there were CPU supplier problems with the next gen of chips being delayed a LONG time. Apple will normally introduce the next rev with it's upgrades at nearly the same price-points as previous models. Generally he only way to beat that is find a third party discounting them or buy a refurb. Waiting can put you in a endless wait for the next revision loop with about 6-9 months between revs depending on supplier technologies.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I have found one site that gives recommendations of when to buy, but they base it on updates, not on price.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Shame on me for linking to another Apple rumors site.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Maybe this will induce Apple to reduce prices:

InfoWorld - Technology Information July 24, 2007

Intel slashes Core 2 Quad prices by 50 percent

http://www.infoworld.com/archives/em...ice-war_1.html
  • Reply 5 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Which would matter to the students least of all, at least in US and some other places, because they have gotten their free iPods from the back-to-school deal. Unfortunately we don't have that deal here, exactly like we don't have refurbs or edu discount to speak of.

Price cuts are improbable and/or irreliable, because Apple just tends to add features at the same pricepoint. For the best deals, I personally like buying something that is slightly used, right after the next revision is announced. My last purchase was a three month old Macbook.

The price cuts on Conroes do not directly matter to Apple as they don't use those processors for anything. They have not seemed very concerned with performance parity with competitors in the past. Selling consumer level hardware with a focus on performance needs either a Mac Pro chassis which I think Apple is unlikely to use for differentiation reasons, or an entirely new form factor. It's not just a matter of sticking some new chips into an iMac or mini.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:

I wouldn't hold my breath.

In my opinion the best way to get a price break on an Apple product is to find it in the refurbished section of the Apple store (link at the iSwitched link below, or something like store.apple.com and click on the special deals section).
  • Reply 7 of 9
    2007bpm2007bpm Posts: 3member
    thanks for the replies.

it looks like the soonest upgrade would be november. eh, i'm not gonna wait.

but i want to point out two things that suck:

1 - the "free ipod" with macbook deal for students. thats an extra 230$ i'll HAVE TO shell out when i buy the macbook, only to *probably* get a rebate in some 2 months.. aye, i'd rather they just drop the price a further 100$. cuz when money wears thin, 230$ can be the difference between paying rent and not.

2 - the price difference for refurbished stuff is pretty negligible - just 50$. this is factoring in the student discount on the new one and the lack of a discount on the refurb.

oh, one other thing - why doesn't apple sell some of their older models? they suck for that, IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

thanks for the replies.

it looks like the soonest upgrade would be november. eh, i'm not gonna wait.

but i want to point out two things that suck:

1 - the "free ipod" with macbook deal for students. thats an extra 230$ i'll HAVE TO shell out when i buy the macbook, only to *probably* get a rebate in some 2 months.. aye, i'd rather they just drop the price a further 100$. cuz when money wears thin, 230$ can be the difference between paying rent and not.

2 - the price difference for refurbished stuff is pretty negligible - just 50$. this is factoring in the student discount on the new one and the lack of a discount on the refurb.

oh, one other thing - why doesn't apple sell some of their older models? they suck for that, IMO.

You may want to look into ADC (developer.apple.com). I used it as a student to get a considerable price drop on the MBP and hopefully a copy of Leopard once released (it's more of a rumored thing, but it sounds like it's happened before). Even with paying $99 for the membership, I saved nearly $300. It's definitely worth it, though getting the info faxed in can be a bit of a pain.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Maybe this will induce Apple to reduce prices:

InfoWorld - Technology Information July 24, 2007

Intel slashes Core 2 Quad prices by 50 percent

http://www.infoworld.com/archives/em...ice-war_1.html

What this usually does, is to give Apple higher margins as long as the benefit does not trickles down to the consumer. But after some time it will probably drop the prices. Just don't expect Apple to react immediately. And from the look of things, the Macbooks are not concerned.