Anybody with high pitched annoying sound from iphone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
I was using the 8GB iPhone the other day and using google maps and while trying to show off the iPhones capabilitie the iPhone just made this obnoxious loud steady sound and would not go away no matter what I did until I shut it down, and shutting it down took about 3min for it to do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

I was using the 8GB iPhone the other day and using google maps and while trying to show off the iPhones capabilitie the iPhone just made this obnoxious loud steady sound and would not go away no matter what I did until I shut it down, and shutting it down took about 3min for it to do.

A lot of married iphone users probably get the same thing.

http://www.everythingiphone.com/foru...else-3509.html
  • Reply 2 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

A lot of married iphone users probably get the same thing.

http://www.everythingiphone.com/foru...else-3509.html

That one was just handed to you on a silver platter!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    gooddoggooddog Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Are you certain the sound was coming from the iPhone

itself and not the alarm radio next to your bed ?

When I place my 8GB iPhone ( in stand-by mode ) next to

my radio or next to my 12" Powerbook that is on,

I get leakage from the iPhone that sounds a little like a printer rhythm and R2D2 sound as the iPhone does something (what?) every few minutes.

By moving the iPhone past 24 inches approx. from the Powerbook or radio, the noise attenuates to zero.

Powering down all the way stops it too.

It does it to my iPod external speakers cradle from JVC too.

Powering all the way down while iPhone is checking for mail etc. will take longer since it has to finish or interrupt the process.

BTW, playing a video with wi-fi turned on disables the

on-screen volume slider. The physical rocker switch

on the side of the iPhone still works. Any idea why ?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Yes, I had this alarm sounding that would not stop, and I don't have alarm set and no, it's not like a sound from static radio interference, etc.

I tried everything to stop it but it kept going, I even tried shutting down but when I turned it back on, it was the same. I finally, just check to see if there was another update and that did the trick, except my setting was in another language, but that was easy to remedy. But, that strange alarm sound from the iphone was weird and I hope others post about it too. This was the 3rd update on the iphone too.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

I get leakage from the iPhone that sounds a little like a printer rhythm and R2D2 sound as the iPhone does something (what?) every few minutes.

By moving the iPhone past 24 inches approx. from the Powerbook or radio, the noise attenuates to zero.

Powering down all the way stops it too.

It does it to my iPod external speakers cradle from JVC too.

Powering all the way down while iPhone is checking for mail etc. will take longer since it has to finish or interrupt the process.

BTW, playing a video with wi-fi turned on disables the

on-screen volume slider. The physical rocker switch

on the side of the iPhone still works. Any idea why ?

Nope. Nothing to do with the alarm. Pretty sure I heard it from the phone and not the alarm

Marvin posted a link to several other people who have had the same problem.

Since it happened that one time it has not happened again. I read somewhere that it happens if you zoom in or out too quickly in google maps.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

I think that's the interference of the GSM signal.
  • Reply 7 of 7

SOLUTION:  Press the button on the right by the earphone jack on top of the phone AND the wake up button at the bottom of the phone on the front AT THE SAME TIME.  Hold for severals seconds.  This is a 'hard reset'.  Should fix the noise problem.  This will not erase your downloaded apps, contacts, notes, etc.  This solution is straight from the mouth of Apple.