High-quality photos of Apple's Bluetooth Headset and Duo Dock

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Following an unexplained multi-week delay, Apple Inc. this week began shipping its petite wireless Bluetooth headset for iPhone and we've got about four dozen high-quality photos to prove it.

The $129 add-on turned up at several Apple retail stores earlier this week, many of which have since sold out of their initial inventory. Several stores contacted by AppleInsider said they expect additional shipments to arrive in the coming days. However, we luckily managed to snag a couple on our way back from SoHo.

Each Apple Bluetooth headset comes packaged quite elegantly in the same black retail packaging constructed for the iPhone itself. Outside of the imagery on the front and rear of the box, it's otherwise identical to the iPhone packaging.

Inside each box is the Apple Bluetooth Headset, Apple iPhone Duo Dock (for charging the iPhone and headset simultaneously), a User Guide, a warranty pamphlet, two earpads, and a USB travel cable that includes its own Bluetooth headset mini charger (recessed into the rear of the dock connector plug). Therefore, the USB travel cable can also charge both the iPhone and Apple Bluetooth Headset simultaneously.

On the far end of the Apple Bluetooth Headset is a minute MagSafe connector that magnetically secures the accessory to the charging port in either the Duo Dock or the USB travel cable -- there are no pins to bend or break. The headset itself also includes a single LED that glows green when the unit is fully charged or red when not.

When both the iPhone and Bluetooth headset are connected to the Duo Dock at the same time, the iPhone will display the battery level of both the iPhone and the headset on its display screen (last photo, below).

We'll have some initial impressions of the Apple Bluetooth headset in the coming days, followed by a thorough review sometime thereafter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Very nice photos.

Does music play through the headset, or is it only for phone calls?
  • Reply 2 of 31
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emdeesee View Post

Very nice photos.

Does music play through the headset, or is it only for phone calls?

Only for calls -- couple more shots coming.

K
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:

How will that thing stay in your ear? Someone please post a pic of someone wearing one of these. It's a unique design with no ear/hanger.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

How will that thing stay in your ear? Someone please post a pic of someone wearing one of these. It's a unique design with no ear/hanger.

The same way an iPod earbud stays in your ear. There are quite a few Bluetooth headsets that have the same earbud only desin, however I prefer the security of having something hooked over by ear (like the Jabra JX10).
  • Reply 5 of 31
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    AI - please buy a scanning electron microscope, these photos are not detailed enough....

I wonder why Apple wired in the dock cable, instead of just putting a dock connector on the back of it (like the iPod docks) ?

Oh - that other thing in the photos reminds me of this UK advert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAT4uMdAaww
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

The same way an iPod earbud stays in your ear. There are quite a few Bluetooth headsets that have the same earbud only desin, however I prefer the security of having something hooked over by ear (like the Jabra JX10).

Really.....

my iPod buds don't stay in my ears at all....guess you have "superior" ears smar@#$>
  • Reply 7 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

iPod earplugs don't need to hold any particular direction though.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    mullmanmullman Posts: 26member
    I picked up one at my local Apple Store today, the last one they had, or so they said.

It's a very nice!

It does stay in ear, and very good sound quality.

My car has BT, so I gave it to the wife for her iPhone - she is thrilled.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    very very nice but..

imagine you are walking along the sidewalk with your iphone and your headset thing in, a man/woman comes past on a bike grabs your headset out your ear and cycles away very fast, never to be seen again?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iwantamac! View Post

very very nice but..

imagine you are walking along the sidewalk with your iphone and your headset thing in, a man/woman comes past on a bike grabs your headset out your ear and cycles away very fast, never to be seen again?

They'd have to practically grope your ear drum to get it - much easier with the larger headsets...
  • Reply 11 of 31
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    That's so much smaller than my Duo Dock II.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

very very nice but..

Having one that hooks over your ear wouldn't help - the cyclist would still be able to make off with your BT headset just as easily, the only difference being that it would hurt you quite a lot more as your ear would probably go with it!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

very very nice but..

They would have to see it from behind you, wcich is rather hard with the small design...
  • Reply 14 of 31
    This is messed up. I had a dream about wireless headphones that look the exact same as that (except there were two of course) last night. I was using them at cedar point to listen to music though. haha.

Have there been leaked photos of this thing? Or did I just have some strange dream?
  • Reply 15 of 31
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

Here is a picture from Steve's January Macworld Keynote address this year:

• Reply 16 of 31
    Is the headset's actual earbud shape the same as that of the white ones that come with iPods? Because for some reason those fall out of my ears very easily.

update: since Apple claims the headset works on both ears, I guess that means it is a bit different than the iPod ones, because those are designed separately for each ear.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    The Apple earbuds won't stay put in my ears either.

This is a major concern for me with this headset. It appears that it's the same design, but not offset for each ear as the earbuds are.

That headset just doesn't seem very secure. I'd be interested to hear more opinions as more people get these.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    Didn't Apple a few years ago want to cut down on their packing to help save the planet or something?. This seems a little unnecessary that is has to be that large for a little bluetooth headpiece?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu View Post

The Apple earbuds won't stay put in my ears either.

This is a major concern for me with this headset. It appears that it's the same design, but not offset for each ear as the earbuds are.

That headset just doesn't seem very secure. I'd be interested to hear more opinions as more people get these.

Totally agree, although this is the slickest headset I've ever seen. The old iPod earbuds were sore to wear resting on a pillow, but walking round they seemed a much much much better fit in my ears anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Today I was in a call with the wife and using my Samsung sch-200 headset. I had been playing a song through my stereo in my car and when I disconnected the cable the song started playing through the bluetooth headset while in the conversation! Weird but proof that if it should be a quick patch or hack to get it to work.