External DVD firmware

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My burner suddenly will not recognize dual layers. A disc says it only has 4.29 Gigs

It is a MAD DOG MD-16X3DVD9-8X Drive TypetCD-RW/DVD-RW

I tried a different brand of media. No luck.

I contacted the tech support who said I might need new firmware - only available for Windows.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hammer7 View Post

My burner suddenly will not recognize dual layers. A disc says it only has 4.29 Gigs

It is a MAD DOG MD-16X3DVD9-8X Drive TypetCD-RW/DVD-RW

I tried a different brand of media. No luck.

I contacted the tech support who said I might need new firmware - only available for Windows.

Any suggestions?

I'm not certain that I understand your question fully, but wouldn't it be easy to use a friend's Windows PC to update the firmware on the drive? You could BootCamp and update the firmware as well, if you've got an Intel Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hammer7hammer7 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abandonedhero View Post

I'm not certain that I understand your question fully, but wouldn't it be easy to use a friend's Windows PC to update the firmware on the drive? You could BootCamp and update the firmware as well, if you've got an Intel Mac.

Yes I may have to do that. I was hoping to avoid that option.

Thanks for the quick reply.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Download the file, burn it to CD (assuming the drive still can do that) and take the disc and drive to the local PC shop. Ask them to apply it for you, or if you can use a demo machine to apply it yourself. Usually, they will be happy to do it, even if you have to offer $10 or so to have them do it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hammer7hammer7 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Download the file, burn it to CD (assuming the drive still can do that) and take the disc and drive to the local PC shop. Ask them to apply it for you, or if you can use a demo machine to apply it yourself. Usually, they will be happy to do it, even if you have to offer $10 or so to have them do it.

Well, I just got back from the shop. Unfortunately, the firmware did not fix the problem.