Battery Meter/Life Issues: MBP C2D

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

I've already talked to someone at the Apple Store about this, but as many of you know I've not had much luck with them.

My issue is this: About a week ago I noticed my MBP started randomly sleeping, as if it ran out of battery. But there was no warning...it would happen when the meter read 20-30%. When I plugged it in, the meter would come up as 0% remaining when it awoke.

I tried rebooting, resetting the SMC and reinstalling the battery update. No dice. It just did it again a few minutes ago...with 21% remaining. I also have a maximum of 2-2:15 left when the battery is fully charged. The machine is about 9 months old...not exactly "within spec" for this kind of problem.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    My girlfriend had the same problem with her black MacBook. She took it in and they replaced the battery for her, I'm not sure there's much more you can do beside that, unless you're interested in investing in a new battery.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abandonedhero View Post

My girlfriend had the same problem with her black MacBook. She took it in and they replaced the battery for her, I'm not sure there's much more you can do beside that, unless you're interested in investing in a new battery.

Perhaps I will contact Apple directly via phone. I don't seem to be getting anywhere with the store.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Perhaps I will contact Apple directly via phone. I don't seem to be getting anywhere with the store.

Are you in warranty? If so, they ought to cover it. They'll possibly give you some bull about the battery being a "consumable", but that's crap. I've replaced dozens of batteries for dozens of customers well outside the "90-day consumable parts warranty" with no hiccups from Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Are you in warranty? If so, they ought to cover it. They'll possibly give you some bull about the battery being a "consumable", but that's crap. I've replaced dozens of batteries for dozens of customers well outside the "90-day consumable parts warranty" with no hiccups from Apple.

Well I just called then and they agreed to replace it. They agreed that it was not in spec for a battery to behave like that.

Funny...a few years ago I had my Pismo battery replaced under AppleCare...and it was more than two years old. Then they tightened up the ship a bit. When I tried to have my PB batt replaced, they quote me the consumable items thing.

But all is well. One more reason to not go the Apple Store!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    SDW,

Have you tried other Apple stores or just the KOP store? The Apple stores I've been to have always treated me well.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

SDW,

Have you tried other Apple stores or just the KOP store? The Apple stores I've been to have always treated me well.

It's been a number of years. The other stores are pretty far away. My feeling is that the KOP store is overwhelmed. It was a nut house on a Monday at 11 a.m. It's a small store and they tell me that it's due for a renovation...which I assume means relocation/expansion. Perhaps that will help. I sent another feedback e-mail. My hope is they call back like they did last time.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    That's good, I'm glad you got it taen care of.